#42 - Don't Call Me Angel

Chapter 42 - Don't Call Me Angel
published: Monday, 23 September 2019

[ requested ]

Time Frame: Post-Blood of Olympus, preceding #7 - Let's Go Camping (Part I)

Synopsis: A handsome Hephaestus camper takes special interest in Nico, which slowly develops into something Nico is too blind to see.

Warning(s): emotional blackmail, toxic relationship, physical abuse

Theme: "Don't Call Me Angel" by Ariana Grande, Miley Cyrus and Lana Del Ray

—*—

"Hey, Nico!"

Nico paused from reading the papers in his arms and looked up to see Will Solace jogging over to him. His blonde hair glinted in the sun and his blue eyes twinkled in a friendly manner that made Nico's insides twist painfully.

Considering he was the son of Apollo, it probably wasn't out of the ordinary for Will to be so good-looking that Nico felt his heart leap every time he caught a glimpse of him.

Will halted in front of the son of Hades, grinning as he panted. "Do you want to play basketball with us?" he asked breathlessly.

Nico gave him a derisive look. "Me," he repeated with a snort of incredulity. "Basketball?"

Will rolled his eyes. "Oh, come on. It's just a friendly game."

Nico wrinkled his nose. "I don't know." He gestured lamely to the papers. "I'm doing cabin assessments. Maybe I'll join you later?"

Will's eyes filled with a hopeful glint. "Okay," he said, seemingly satisfied with Nico's answer. "Don't be a stranger," Will said lightly as he retreated backwards, flashing a last grin at Nico before he disappeared behind the Big House.

A small smile spread across Nico's face.

"Could you two be any more obvious?" 

Nico tilted his head to see Calypso rolling her eyes as she dug into the patch of strawberries.

"What?" Nico stammered, flushing embarrassedly.

Calypso tossed her garden shovel to the ground and wiped the sweat of her brow before she placed her arms on her hips with a pointed look. "You and Will. It's like being around Zoë and Hercules all over again. Albeit, he was a jerk, but her pining after him isn't very different from this."

Nico frowned. "What?" he repeated.

"I thought you spoke English," Calypso told him sarcastically.

Nico glared at her. "What are you talking about?" he amended.

Calypso waded out of the flower beds and hopped over to his side. "The boy has a crush on you. Clearly."

Nico felt his eyes widen. "I-what?"

"Okay, I'm starting to think that's the only word you know."

His voice came out quite a few notes higher than usual. "I'm not—" Nico cleared his throat and blushed furiously. "How'd you know that I'm gay?" He scowled. "Did Percy tell you?"