#47 - Annabeth's Work Trip

Chapter 47 - Annabeth's Work Trip
published: Wednesday, 25 December 2019

Time Frame: the Christmas season, when Athena and Charlie are around two years old

Synopsis: When her conference ends early, Annabeth makes a daring trip across the globe to make it back to Percy, Athena and Charlie before Christmas Day is over. Along the way, she reminisces about other happy moments she shared with them.

Contains: a cameo from our favourite satyr (GROVER) and Dan in #43; wholesome family themes; Annabeth-centric plot; and Christmas fluff for the holiday season!

—*—

"I can't believe you're going to be away on Christmas," came the whine through the phone. "It's not the same without you."

Annabeth winced. "I know, I'm gonna miss everyone so much."

Grover's annoyed bleats rang once more. "You're back for New Year's Eve, right?"

Annabeth clicked her tongue. "I think so."

"Okay, good, because if you're not at camp for the fireworks, I will gallop all the way to drag you back to Long Island."

A groan escaped Annabeth's lips.

"What?" Grover's questioned over the phone.

"I love Percy," Annabeth sighed. "I really do." She slammed the empty box shut. "But the next time he eats the last bagel I swear I will throw him in the River Styx!"

Grover chuckled lowly. "Alright, get a room."

Annabeth rolled her eyes. "Call me sooner next time," she told him sternly. "And come visit. Percy misses you. We all do."

"I'll try," Grover promised. "Juniper doesn't like the kids coming out to the city. She thinks the forest fires will kill them." Grover hummed thoughtfully. "I don't think she understands that fire doesn't burn up satyrs."

"Okay," Annabeth drew out the last syllable. "Bye, Grover."

There was another laugh before the line clicked off and Annabeth set down her phone with a long exhale. One of the problems with her and Percy choosing the mortal route in life was that she hardly ever got to see her old friends from camp.

The soft padding of feet on the ground followed by a yawn caught her attention. Annabeth glanced up to see Percy sleepily stumble out of the corridor.

"Hey, sleepyhead," she teased, walking up and slipping her hand in his. Annabeth kissed him softly, trying to hold in her laughter at his bed head.

"Don't go," Percy mumbled. "Stay."

Annabeth gave his hand a squeeze before she pulled hers out of his and turned back to her suitcase. As she pulled on her boots and checked on the Uber, Annabeth frowned. "You know I have to."

There was a pause. "Yeah, I know," he said defeatedly.

"I'll be back in Boxing Day," she promised. "We'll spend the rest of the week together."

"Charlie wants to see the goats at the zoo again," Percy noted. He was wearing an old hoodie and sweatpants, and his eyes were bleary with exhaustion.

"He'll have a blast when he realises Grover's actually part-goat," Annabeth told him.

She silently studied his face for a few moments. "I'm sorry I have to go," she murmured as she wrapped Percy in a tight embrace.

Percy hugged her back like he'd never let go. "Love you," he mumbled.

Annabeth kissed him one more time. "I love you too." She grabbed her suitcase and pulled the front door open. "Try not to do anything too stupid."