#64 - The Avengers (AU) (Part V)

Chapter 64 - The Avengers (AU) (Part V)
published: Monday, 27 July 2020

Additional characters:
Galaga Guy: Rachel Dare

"Hey! Hey!" Percy's yells reverberated between the stone walls of his prison cell. "Where are you taking her? Let her go!"

The guards didn't heed his shouts as they dragged Annabeth off by the arms, her figure still limp from whatever serum-battling drugs they'd pumped her with.

Percy sank to the floor, back against the wall as a cold sweat started to mat on his skin. This was a really, really bad situation.

People loved to kidnap Percy; in fact, it happened so often, even when he was a kid, that some of them were boring. There were multiple reasons to kidnap Percy Jackson — ransoms and extortion just two of many — but seeing as Captain America had also been a captive, Percy guessed that this time it was about the Avengers.

Or, this was one of millions of organisations who wanted the super soldier serum, and Percy had just been lucky enough to be with her at the time. They had just finished lunch and were ordering dessert.

And Percy knew it probably shouldn't be a priority right now, but he was really, really annoyed that he hadn't gotten his doughnuts.

Percy surveyed the area of his confinement. He was alone in the pitch black, with maybe one or two guards standing watch outside. Annabeth was gone, but if he let himself think about that then he wouldn't ever stop, and they wouldn't get out of here.

They'd been disarmed within minutes of their capture — off-duty Avengers still carried weapons — but he was Percy Jackson, and he'd built a state-of-the-art suit of armour in a cave with nothing but scrap metal, so this wasn't even the worst of it.

Percy's hands were bound with zip ties — those shouldn't be a problem to get out of — which he got to loosening. Once that was done, he could do the same for his feet.

From his guesswork, they'd probably been kidnapped about 45 minutes ago, which meant that it would take maybe 3 to 4 hours for the others to realise they were missing.

Percy hoped that the team would be able to find him, but that was unlikely, seeing as he didn't even know where the hell they were being held.

He did a rapid inventory — his phone and wallet were gone, as well as his watch, which had mechanisms he'd specifically designed to help in situations like this.

Fortunately, Percy's paranoia and borderline insanity paid off at times like this. The 49 micro-repeaters he'd injected into himself back during the entire Mandarin and Extremis fiasco, though still a work in progress, could summon Mark 42 to here.

Closing his eyes, Percy tried to summon the armour. He didn't know where he was, but he hoped the armour would be here within the hour.

Or, if he was wrong and lack of use of the armour had made it break down, then Percy was stuck here with no way to get out.

Figuring that there was nothing else he could do but hope, Percy slumped against the wall, letting his mind drift to better things as he waited.

Turns out, he didn't have to wait long. He nodded off within minutes, anxiety on the forefront of his mind, and was roughly woken up an undefinable amount of time later by the slamming of the cell door.

Percy jolted awake with a startled yelp, blinking the daze from his eyes as the same guards from earlier stampeded inside, Annabeth slung between them.

Percy's vision tunnelled. Blood stained her arms and her uniform, enough that the original colour of the material wasn't even visible. "What the hell did you do to her?" he demanded furiously, resisting the urge to leap forward and punch the guard.