#16 - The Blofis Wedding

Chapter 16 - The Blofis Wedding
published: Monday, 29 October 2018

"Just remember, I've already ironed your suit and tie, and it's hanging in your closet," my mother reminded me. "Oh! And don't forget to give Paul the flowers for his suit!"

I reached out my arms to steady her. "Mum, Mum, you need to calm down."

She sighed and brushed a strand of stray brown hair out of her face. "Sorry, Percy. I just, well," a hysterical laugh bubbled out of her throat, "I'm so nervous."

"That's understandable considering you're getting married today," I reassured her, giving her hand a squeeze.

My mum's friend, Heather something, nodded her in agreement. "Percy's right, you just need to remember that you love Paul, and he loves you."

I was glad that Heather had said that, because there was no way I could've said something so cheesy without melting into a puddle.

"We need to go if you don't want to be behind schedule," Heather urged my mother.

My mother shot me a worried look. "Are you sure you'll be fine?"

I rolled my eyes. "Yes, Mum, go, go. I can handle myself. I'm not completely incapable."

"I feel better that Annabeth's going to be here soon," she murmured before heading out the door.

Well, look at that. My own mother believes in my best friend more than she does in me.

"Is she gone?" Paul's voice echoed down the hall.

I glanced behind to see Paul walking towards the living room with his hands over his eyes.

The whole 'the groom cannot see the bride before the wedding' thing.

"Yeah, she's gone," I told him. He removed his eyes with a sigh of relief mixed with fear. "How're you holding up?"

Paul had an expression of absolute nausea. "Percy, I know that this is probably the most important day of my life, and Sally's planned it out to the very last detail, but I can't help worrying that something's going to go wrong."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Wait, you still want to marry her, don't you?"

Paul looked alarmed. "Of course! Sally's the love of my life, it's just that, there are so many things that could go wrong."

I awkwardly patted him on the back. I felt like Paul had become wary around me after my mum and I had told him about me being the son of Poseidon and all the other demigod stuff. "Don't worry, it'll be fine. Everything will be perfect."

Paul didn't even flinch. He just gave me a weak smile. "We should probably get ready. We're going to start driving to the barn in two hours or so, and we still need to arrange the bouquets."

"Annabeth is coming to help with that," I said.

Paul raised his eyebrows. "Oh yeah, Annabeth's coming."

I blushed. There was something about the undertone in his voice.

"As your date?" Paul added, hiding a smile.