#56 - Territory (Part II)

Chapter 56 - Territory (Part II)
published: Monday, 1 June 2020

The sound of Kayleigh slamming the gavel on the tabletop repeatedly made Annabeth want to snatch it from her and bonk the other girl over the head.

Gods, Kayleigh annoyed her to no end. It had been about three days since Annabeth had arrived at camp and unfortunately became acquainted with the four demigods.

Today was the first counsellors' meeting since Annabeth's arrival, and she'd taken over as head counsellor from her half-brother Malcolm, who usually stood in for her whenever she wasn't available.

It was utter chaos in the room. The ping pong table had been replaced with a much fancier oak desk, and Harlan day behind it, Kayleigh to his right.

Of course, since Percy was also a head counsellor — despite being the only person in his cabin — he was also present at the meeting. Annabeth hadn't said a word to him yet today, and he wouldn't even look at her.

As Harlan ran through various boring decisions, Annabeth found her mind wandering to her ex-boyfriend.

Breaking up was the right decision, she told herself sternly. Prior to that, they'd been fighting endlessly. It was one argument after the next, both of them frustrated at the world for shoving them apart.

Annabeth found that everything about him got on her nerves; even things as ridiculous as the way he texted. Their phone calls had grown less frequent and they often went a week without any contact at all.

She could still remember the last fight.

It had been a dozen arguments bunched up into one — Percy buying the wrong groceries, Annabeth accidentally throwing away his papers with the trash, et cetera.

A desperation to just be alone overwhelmed Annabeth. She was tired of fighting, of arguing at every turn. The nightmares were getting worse the more anxious she grew, and fighting with Percy made her as anxious as she was in a battle.

"This isn't working!" she cried that night, feeling like all hope in her life had been extinguished. Dark circles ringed Percy's eyes, evidence of the toll the relationship was taking on him too.

As soon as the words left her lips, Percy paled and sat down hard. "Which part of it?" he said sarcastically, running a hand through his hair.

"All of it," Annabeth choked out. "Everything is—I feel like I'm suffocating!"

Even in his state of distress, Percy knew she was right. Annabeth could see the reluctant agreement in his eyes.

We've been together since we were 16.

Those were the words Annabeth hurled at him. She'd been right. Neither of them knew who they were without the other. He'd basically been her best friend since she was 12. Being in love with him had been a part of who she was, and Annabeth hated how reliant she was on that.

Percy wasn't any different. He would've given up anything for her. He'd promised to try, to make more time, to spend fewer hours at the university — and that was when Annabeth sobbed and told him that he couldn't give up anything and everything for her.

Percy was so fundamentally good. It made her feel so guilty. And she knew that he hadn't even realised what he was willing to do for her.

You can't die for me, Percy. I know you would, and I would do the same for you — but we can't.

The sheer commitment they had to each other had scared them that night. They were only 18. Feeling like they couldn't live without the other wasn't something that should be happening.