02: Dance With Me

❝the music is so loud / i wanna be yours now❞

-c'mon cmon : one direction

"Targets spotted at 12 o'clock, by the vending machines. Over," Logan whispered into the walkie talkie in his hand.

Kendall stared daggers at his sister and the stupid grin on her face as she took the packet of Fruit Smackers from James. He struggled to listen in on their conversation. All three boys leaned in for a better ear, nearly toppling over on top of Logan. The bits of the conversation they could make out caused Kendall's blood to boil:

"-but, what would Kendall think?"

"Who cares? You're hot, I'm hot, it just makes sense"

James hooked his arm with Kit's, leading her out of the Palm Woods.

The blonde boy's jaw dropped open. Stubborn as always, Logan frowned:

"Okay, let's not jump to conclusions," he reasoned. Kit and James spent a lot of time together and it only looked alarming to see their touchy, playful dynamic when the notion that they had something going on replayed in their minds.

Begrudgingly, Kendall stood down. Logan had a point. Kit was still mad at him and he didn't want to imagine what she would do to him if he accused her of dating James behind his back when it wasn't even true.

"Fine," he said. Kendall grit his teeth.

"Oh, oh," Carlos nudged each boy with his elbows. He spoke excitedly. "They're headed for the park. Sounds romantic, doesn't it?"

"Dude," Logan groaned, smacking the back of his friend's head.

Kendall was already halfway across the lobby by the time Logan could even reply. They were onto something, he just knew it. Now all Kendall needed was proof and he was going to bust James.

The three boys settled into a new hiding place just in time to catch the couple settling down.

"M'lady," James said playfully as he gestured to the empty park bench in front of them.

"Since when does Kit giggle?" Logan scowled, muttering under his breath. He was too busy glaring holes in James's head to notice the odd look Carlos sent him.

His lips brushed against her ear as he whispered, "looks like we've got an audience"

Kit glanced towards the shrubs and while she had to give them credit for actually crouching low enough for her not to see them this time, the fake leaves glued to their tree hats did not match the color of the actual bushes. Even if she hadn't been looking, Kit was certain she would have spotted her idiot brother and his accomplices. If it was a show they wanted, she and James were about to offer them the performance of a lifetime.

"So, I was thinking," James began. Kit turned her attention solely on him. "That song you wrote, it's really good. Like, really good-"

"Well, don't sound so surprised!"

He rolled his eyes:

"I think you should play it for Gustavo, maybe he'd let you record it-"

She stopped him, sitting upwards in her seat.

"Wait," she said, confused. This wasn't part of the plan they had previously agreed on. "James, I don't know..."

"Just say you'll think about it?"

"I guess I could," she said hesitantly. "It's just, I don't know. Being famous is your dream, James, not mine"

"I know, I know," he said, shrugging. As if he could forget. "Little Miss NASA is only biding her time with us pop stars until college"