24: Kit Gets Promoted

❝so tell me, girl if every time we touch / you get this kind of rush❞

- kiss you: one direction

Kit and her mother had found their favorite way to make cleaning feel like less of a chore. That usually involved a pair of sunglasses and socks to slide around the hardwood floors on, a la Risky Business. With the boys in the studio and the day off, Kit offered to help her mother clean up the mess that the boys had left behind. She clicked the Big Time Rush album over the stereo and picked up a broom each for herself and her mom.

As their first single began to replace the quiet, Kit swiped at some of Kendall's shoes that had been left in the living with her broom. The girls sang along, though her mother's voice was less trained than Kit's. Mrs. Knight had the broom hoisted above her head, jumping around to the beat, when the boys came in.

Kit saw them first, eyes widening, and slowed to a stop. Mama Knight caught on and turned to see all four boys standing by the kitchen, staring at her. She let out a scream. Kit picked up the remote, turning off the stereo.

Frustrated and embarrassed, Mrs. Knight asked: "Why aren't you guys at the studio?"

Carlos and James answered, "We're being invaded!"

They each held up a defensive straw, armed and ready with spitballs for an unseen enemy. James and Carlos stormed the room, looking around. Kit stepped aside to avoid them and scrunched her nose, disgusted.

"And, nice dance. Sorta," added Kendall.

Logan shook his head slightly.

"We weren't dancing," his mother defended. "We're cleaning."

She made a show of swiping her broom across the floor.

"And now, I'm cleaning the back hallway."

She retreated quickly in shame. Kit watched her leave, smiling sadly. She hung her own broom back on the hook.

Kit returned to Kendall and Logan, adding: "For the record," said Kit. "I'm not a dancer, okay."

Logan and Kendall shared a smile. "Nice singing, though," Kendall offered.

Kit beamed.

"Okay," she said. "Are you gonna tell me what that's all about?" She jammed her thumb in the direction of James and Carlos.

Kendall approached the boys in question. "Enough with the spitballs."

Carlos spit a large number of them from his mouth and James lowered his weapon.

"The British are not actually invading," Kendall reminded them.

"Oh, really?" James asked. He slapped a hand on the magazine that lay on the counter. "Have you seen this month's Pop Tiger?"

Kit nodded.

James gestured to it, "We're nowhere on the cover, and besides 1D and the Wanted, look who else is invading our great land:"

Carlos grimaced, listening. James flipped to a new poster for each band that none of them had ever heard of.

"Hair 3."

The members of that band all looked at least thirty and had the worst hair that Kit had ever seen. She couldn't help but to let out a laugh. James glared, not finding it amusing.

"Colorful pants" looked like a boy band that had possessed the Wiggles.

"Don't forget," he added, turning to a two-page poster of a third band. "Simon Cowell's Next Boy Band."