17: Self-Titled Album

❝but, baby, runnin' after you is like chasin' the clouds

story of my life : one direction

- story of my life : one direction

Mercedes Griffin craved power

Mercedes Griffin craved power. It was what drove her to always wear heels indoors and fueled her newfound success in her job at RCM-CBT GlobalNet Sanyoid. Ever since Griffin put Mercedes in charge of his music division, she had been thriving. Unfortunately for Rocque Records, however, this meant that Griffin's temperamental teenaged daughter stood between them and the release of Kit's long-awaited debut album. Even her newfound fame from the All Around the World Tour and the publicity that her relationship with James brought couldn't seem to save Kit from that.

Kit watched Mercedes warily as she scanned her eyes around the crib. The blonde pushed her puppy into Kit's arms with little warning other than a short, "Here." Kit scrambled to keep the wriggly creature in her arms. She ran her fingers through the puppy's fur, happy that Mercedes hadn't made her hold the shopping bags. After some prodding, the Pomeranian curled up happily in her arms. Mercedes sighed, pushing her hair from her face. She rifled through her purse without another word to the other girl.

The silence made Kit uneasy. She knew that Mercedes was not exactly her biggest fan. Maybe it was because Kit had called her a spoiled little bitch or because the blonde had accused her of 'stealing' Logan from her, but either way, Kit suspected she had a grueling few days of groveling ahead of her before she could really celebrate the release of her album. Which was precisely why Mercedes decided to toy with her some more, like a cat with its prey. She held out a shiny advance copy of the Kit Knight album. Her neatly manicured nails waved it tauntingly in front of Kit.

"So," said Mercedes. "I listened to your songs and they're not bad," she said.

Kit raised an eyebrow, "Thanks."

Mercedes adjusted her hair in a nearby mirror. She hummed. "But it's missing something"

The news caught Kit off guard. Gustavo had already approved the final 11 songs that made it onto the album so she expected no further pushback on that. She supposed she should have known better.