13: All Around the World

want you bad but it's come down to nothing

- bye bye baby: taylor swift

In the decade since they first became friends, Kit couldn't remember another time when the boys fought this much. Most of their spats resolved themselves before dinnertime. Not this week. Somehow, they abandoned that pattern for explosive fights at the drop of a hat. The atmosphere of apartment 2J grew tenser than ever.

Kit sat on the couch with her legs tucked under her. She flipped through her songbook, humming to herself. The boys stood in front of the TV, arguing about some video game. She could make out only muffled angry voices through her noise-cancelling headphones. Kit's focus didn't even waver when Logan tackled James and Carlos over onto the floor.

The dip in the couch as someone sat down beside her finally pulled her from her thoughts. Kendall nudged his twin gently in the arm. "Kit, a little help here!"

She pulled her headphones from her ears. "Sorry," she said sheepishly. "What's wrong?"

His eyes darted to the other three boys, who had each pulled a fully packed suitcase out of thin air. Frowning, Kit rose to her feet.

"Um, what do you guys think you're doing?"

"We're movin' out!"

Carlos's frown let up somewhat for Kit, but the irritated pull to his brows remained. She scoffed.

Kit walked over to stand beside Kendall. The twins blocked them from leaving the apartment. Kit crossed her arms firmly over her chest, her brother trying to stop them. Her gaze hardened as she scolded them.

"Nobody is moving out!"

"Now," Kendall nodded. "We have been friends forever and we're perfectly capable of spending five minutes together without fighting, right?"

The boys exchanged a look. Shrugging, they gave in. "Okay, fine."

Whatever tranquility they managed to bring back vanished quicker than it came. Kit had time only to return to her seat on the couch before another fight broke out. Three angry shouts came from the hallway as one boy after the other shuffled out into the hallway, leaving Kendall frustrated and alone in the doorway.

"I hate all of you!"

"Do not follow me."

"I'm moving out."

Kendall turned on his heel, glaring at Kit. "You call that helping?"

"Well," She quirked an eyebrow. "What do you want me to do?"

"Please," he begged. "Just talk to them or something. They'll listen to you. Logan and James will pretty much do anything you say, y'know, cause they're in love–"

Her cheeks pinkened. "Okay, fine," she cut him off. "Just shut up."

Kendall smirked and hurried to clean up the apartment before their mother returned. Kit collected her journal safely in her arms and went off in search of three teenage idiots.

She didn't even bother to explain to Kendall that they were minors with no money and would be back when they realized they had nowhere else to go. Instead, she opted to try the lobby.

The elevator doors opened to the first floor just in time for Kit to catch a glimpse of the boys scattering about the Palm Woods. Sighing, she tiptoed her way over to the desk.

"What just happened?"

Bitters sighed. "Your friends can't have their own apartments unless they can get me $7,002 each."