18: Exes and Uh-Ohs

Note: This chapter contains some misogynistic comments and brief violence.

❝in your life, you'll do things / greater than dating a boy on the football team❞

- fifteen : taylor swift (taylor's version)

Today was it. Kendall Knight finally worked up the nerve to ask out Lucy Stone and he refused to let anything else stop him. He even pulled on a blazer over his t-shirt for the occasion. He felt good about it, this time, as he stepped into the living room. Kendall stood before a dizzy Carlos, James, and Logan, who had collapsed onto the floor. Each boy lifted their heads up to get a better look at Kendall.

James spoke first: "Why are you all dressed up?"

Disoriented, Carlos lifted a shaky finger. "And why are there three of you?"

Kendall broke out into a grin. "I am on my way to officially ask Lucy out on a date."

Logan blinked, confused. He sat upright with the assistance of a bean bag chair. "Wait," he knitted his eyebrows. "You still haven't asked her out yet? Man, what's taking you so long?"

"You know, I don't know," he said sarcastically. "It just seems like every time I'm about to ask her out, there's a... complication."

A complication named James, Logan, or Carlos, to be exact. Kendall refused to allow them to thwart his attempts another time.

Apologetically, the other three boys shared a glance. They rose to their feet.

"Well," said James. "That will not happen again."

"-Because you are getting that date."

Kendall could hardly get the words out to ask Logan what he planned on doing before James led him out of apartment 2J by the arm. His friends cleared the path to the elevators, shouting at any passersby. Kendall grinned awkwardly at them. Carlos swiped the bouquet of flowers which sat on a table opposite the elevators. He handed them to Kendall. The boys stood facing the elevators for a moment. James pressed the button.

"Now," James instructed. "Go up to her apartment and get that date."

As he took the flowers from Carlos, James pushed them into Kendall's hands. Carlos frantically brushed off non-existent dust from his blazer. Kendall steeled himself with a sharp breath.

"You got this man," Logan encouraged.

The ding of the elevator signaled its arrival. Much to Kendall's surprise, the doors slowly parted to reveal Lucy. Only, she wasn't alone. A boy whose charming grin and icy blue eyes reminded the boys a little too much of Matty stood with an arm draped loosely around her shoulders.

Lucy smiled at her friends. "Oh," she said at the sight of them. Lucy stumbled over the words. "Uh, hey, guys. This is Beau. My ex-boyfriend."

Beau leaned forward as he explained, shoving his hand even deeper into the front pocket of his blue jeans. "I drove all the way out from Georgia just to win my Lucy back."

The former couple shared a glance. The expressions on both of their faces made Kendall uneasy. Lucy didn't push him away and, judging by the sparkle in her eyes, she seemed to be considering the idea of getting back together with this guy.

Even after the elevator doors shut again, none of them bothered to press any more buttons. Instead, they retreated back to their apartment to regroup.

Kendall paced the length of their living room, thinking. His promise to himself not to let anything get in his way today seemed like more of a stretch now than ever. He stopped for a moment, turning to his friends. Kit had been dragged out to their little meeting by Logan and the slamming of the apartment door. She now sat beside him on the couch, closely watching her brother. A deep frown worked its way over Kit's lips.