03: Love Science

why do i keep running from the truth? all i ever think about is you

- crush : david archuleta

Today was the boys' first day off in weeks and Logan intended to take full advantage of it. He strolled into the crib with a grin on his face and a hypothesis swirling around in his head. Logan was ready to experiment with love science. All he needed was an assistant and he had just the girl in mind.

Kit sat leaning against the couch, scribbling in her notebook. Beams of L.A. sunshine brought out the golden hint to her brown hair. Logan tried to push away the rising thought that she looked beautiful, swallowing the voice in his head as it reminded him that she always did.

"I need you to make out with me. Don't worry, though," he added quickly. "It's for science."

The request took her so off guard that her hand spasmed and left a large line across the page. She sighed, abandoning her writing for the day.

"What? For science?"

"Love science."

Kit raised her eyebrows. She burst into laughter, sending Logan into a tizzy. The unamused look on his face caused her to cover her mouth with her hand. Once the fit of giggles finally passed, she apologized.

"Okay, sorry," she said. "But if that was some sort of pick up line, you might wanna go back to the drawing board!"

Logan plopped down on the couch next to Kit. He rolled his eyes:

"I'm serious," he said. "Just say you'll help me?"

She thought for a moment. Kit knew well enough to know that this probably wouldn't end well. Her conscience told her to turn him down, to go back to her writing. That puppy-dog look of his got her every time, though. She never could say no to him.

He had never been good at understanding exactly what his heart was trying to tell him. Science, however, never failed him. Statistics were something that Logan could always rely on.

"Okay, fine," she relented. "So, what do we do?"

Logan disappeared momentarily, only to lug in a large machine and set it up in their living room.

Kit noticed that he swapped his hoodie for a lab coat. The boy handed her one of her own, which she reluctantly shrugged on. She had no idea where he got the equipment from. Logan beamed as he put some sort of helmet which had wires sticking out of it onto his head.

She stuck sensors all over his face and over his chest, by his heart. Kit sat down on the armrest of the couch, watching the heart monitor as it registered his resting heart rate. When she looked up again, Kit furrowed her brows. She got her first good look at him.

"You look like a dork! What the heck is all this?"

"It's supposed to measure brain activity," he explained.

"This is love science?"

Logan simply nodded. He could easily have explained it to Kit, but that would involve disclosing the full nature of the experiment. And he much preferred to have her believe that this was only about Camille.

"You know this is stupid, right?"

"No," he insisted. "It's science"

"Sure, it is."

"Laugh all you want, Kit, but emotions can be deceptive and confusing. Heart rate, brain waves, and sweat levels, on the other hand, cannot-"

She rolled her eyes. Kit failed to stifle her laughter. "That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard."