12: Contest

❝i'm no one special, just another wide-eyed girl / who's desperately in love with you❞

superstar : taylor swift

By the time that the actual day of the Contest arrived, Kit had nearly forgotten about it altogether. Between her non-break-up break-up with James and recording her final demo song, it slipped her mind. So, when Kelly informed her that the editors would be in the Palm Woods Lobby the following morning, she thought back to the day that Gustavo informed them all of the big contest.

Pride swelled within Kit as she eyed the magazine that Gustavo shoved into her hands. The "Win a Date with Big Time Rush!" contest stood proudly on the cover- granted, it hugged the lower corner, but on the cover nonetheless. Pop Tiger cover shoots were a big deal for new bands. Climbing the cover would mean major exposure for Big Time Rush. Gustavo Rocque intended to push them all the way to the top of the magazine's fame level. That meant making it through these dates without a hitch.

Gustavo stared in awe at the sight of Big Time Rush striding into the studio early for the first time ever. He looked at Kelly in awe. Kit, who he called in for reinforcements, never wavered in her punctuality. The same could not be said for her boys. Impressed and confused, Kit posed: "BTR on time?"

"You guys have never done this before," Kelly agreed.

"Well," Leaning against his hockey stick, Kendall shrugged. "It's amazing how much you can get done when you've sworn off dating girls!"

Gustavo squinted at the boys before him. "You've sworn off dating girls?"

Kelly shot a sidelong glance at the girl beside her. Kit held her right arm by the elbow, shifting slightly. She simply raised an eyebrow. "Not James," Kit muttered. With one more glance at the sweaty boys, Kelly understood the slightly embarrassed flush of her cheeks.

Frowning, Kendall quipped:

"Well, they just end up moving to New Zealand on you!"

Though several pairs of eyes looked expectantly to him for an answer, Logan stared straight ahead, silent, cheeks pinkening.

Beside him, James nodded. He grinned. "Kit's still my girl," he confirmed. "Just been spending more time with my buds"

Carlos nodded. "Since I've sworn off my fickle dating habits, my IQ's gone up 20 points. Go ahead, ask me anything!" The boy shot his friend and employers a challenging grin.

Kelly and Kit shared a glance. "Okay," Kit said. "Who was the first"

"Alexander Hamilton!"

Kit slammed her mouth shut, nodding. She loved Carlos dearly, she truly did, but she seriously doubted that he knew Alexander Hamilton was the United States's first Secretary of the Treasury before today. Kelly blinked. "How-?"

James chimed in. "With the time we've saved by not chasing girls, we've increased our hockey playing 79% and decreased our showering 98%!"

As the boys broke out into cheers, Kelly, Gustavo, and Kit grew fearful about their upcoming contest.

Simultaneously, the girls chastised: "Please increase your showering!"

The boys shrunk back in shame. Kendall grinned, adding: "Big Time Rush is never going on a date again!"

At the lethal looks he got from both his twin and the boy standing to his right, he rushed to add:

"Er, I guess, except for James...?"