10: Paralyzed

❝i'd make a move if i had the guts to / but i'm paralyzed❞

- paralyzed : big time rush

Kit gaped at James, setting aside her songbook. He'd said a lot of really dumb things over the years she had known him, but this was up there with the most absurd. She crossed her arms over her chest. "What?"

"We need to break up so I can understand what Kendall's going through"

"You're joking, right?"

He shook his head. "No!"

"James," she said. "This is stupid."

"Just do it. If not for me, then for Kendall. He won't stand up."

He pouted. Although she still firmly believed this was a recipe for disaster, she preferred to end whatever mess this was now sooner than later. Kit sighed, giving in.

"Okay, fine," she said. "I'm breaking up with you."

"There," Kit took a step back from James. "Happy now?"

His grin faded. James's eyes widened. "I- you... You can't do that! You broke up with me!"

He followed her as Kit stepped around him, making her way to the elevator. "You told me to!"

"I've never been dumped before! You can't ruin my perfect record."

Like a parent with their toddler, Kit placed her hands on her hips and waited for him to calm down before speaking. "Wow, okay," she said. "First of all, we're not really broken up. Secondly, no one's ever broken up with me either! I dumped Matty, and... You know what, no! I'm not even gonna entertain this anymore"

She rolled her eyes. James stared blankly at her. Her words seemed to go right over his head. Yet another, louder whine escaped him.

"Are you done? Kendall needs us right now. And this-" She gestured towards him. "Is not helping"

James did not follow her. He whimpered. The boy stayed frozen in shock.

"Goodbye, James," Kit stepped forward to her boyfriend, hoping he would give it up. She pressed a kiss to his cheek. "I'll be in the crib once you stop pouting."

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Penny restarted the video on her phone once again. She rested her head in her hands, sighing. All the hours she spent in the dance studio trying to nail her newest lyrical solo started to drive her a little stir crazy. She took a change of scenery at The Palm Woods Park. The choreography itself was nothing she hadn't done before, but the competition in Los Angeles was stiff. All the years she spent making a name for herself out on the east coast meant nothing out here.

With the big audition for Dak Zevon and his team coming up, Penny wanted something to boost her confidence. She hoped that winning first place in her age division at the upcoming dance competition would do just the trick.

"Pen!"

She paused the video. Carlos slid into the chair across from her at the table. He laid both palms flat on the wood. "Will you help me with a unique situation by going out with me temporarily?"

"Sorry, what?"

She blinked. Her freckled cheeks heated. Penny wondered if all the hours she spent locking herself away had finally taken their toll on her sanity.

Carlos placed his palms on the table. "It's for Kendall," he explained. For emphasis, he jutted his bottom lip into a pout. "Please?"

"Alright," she agreed. "But I only have like ten minutes"