Chapter 29- Practise makes not so perfect

Eventually everything settled and Cheryl had given her speech about being the best cheerleading team (not optional) and getting in an extra 4 hours practice every week. Then they started stretching and doing warm ups to a bit of upbeat music.

10 minutes into practice starting, Cheryl felt eyes on her. Now this wasn't an unnatural occurance but it usually didn't feel suspicious like it did right now.

She scanned the room while performing her moves perfectly and as she turned, she stopped and she stared.
Toni.
There she was watching Cheryl through the doors of the gym, having an inner battle with herself on whether it was a good idea to actually enter.
A girl bumped into Cheryl, which wasn't odd considering she had messed up the entire routine by not continuing on and stopping dead in the middle of it.
"Cheryl what's up" Betty jogged up to her, acknowledging her cousin's currunt zoned out state.
In fact Betty was more confused as to why Cheryl wasn't currently scolding the girl who dared touch her, regardless of who's fault the trip up was.
Veronica also jogged lightly towards her and the girl's all stopped to watch her. They followed her line of sight and by this point Toni noticed she was being watched and moved to hide behind the wall. But strangely enough for Toni she wasn't that stealthy.

"Oh, I'll tell her it's a closed practice" Betty said starting to walk towards the door.
"No!" Cheryl finally spoke so loudly that it echoed throughout the now silent space. She cleared her throat and spoke more assertively and at a regular volume. "I'll sort her out" Cheryl's smile was one that could not be recognised as scary or deviant, it was kind of hard to tell the difference.
The girls watched her walk towards the door and right before she grabbed the handle she turned to her vixens.
"Continue practice" they all looked at her quizingly but quickly shuffled into some sort of cheerleading routine when she yelled again "NOW!"

She reached for the handle again and opened the door looking left to where Toni had "hidden" herself. She was casually fiddling with sleeve on her jacket, leaning against the wall with one foot flat against it for balance.
When she sensed Cheryl's glare she looked up
"Uhhh... sorry?" Toni tried not really sure if Cheryl was mad or not.
"You're not very discreet" Cheryl immediately teased the girl hand on her hip.
"Maybe I wasn't trying to be?" Toni shrugged pushing off the wall to walk closer to her.
"Oh yes of course my mistake I wasn't aware that hiding once being seen was what innocent people do" Cheryl questioned.
"Honey I didnt say nothing about being innocent" she raised an eyebrow a certain flirtatious tone floating from her lips.
"That sentence was so grammatically incorrect it hurts" Cheryl ignored the girls comment out of fear that she might take it too far again and end up in a ... closet situation again. 
"Oh come on you're really not gonna say anything back to that" Toni challenged waiting for the girl's feiry wit to take charge.
"Toni I'm missing practice and it's a closed one you shouldn't be here" Cheryl spoke authoritatively.
"Woah okay" Toni put her hands up in surrender "you first named me I must really be in trouble" she turned around to walk away and looked over her shoulder "You sure I can't stay and watch you, you look hot in that outfit" she flirted  trying again to lighten Cheryl's mood.

"Toni" She scolded
"Oof there it is again okay" she threw her hands in her pockets and started walking away again. Cheryl noticed how harsh she may have sounded and she tried to stop herself. She really did. She could have just let Toni walk away. She could have got back to practice and ignored it all. But this girl had Cheryl doing something she would never normally need to do.
"Hey" Cheryl fast walked towards Toni and grabbed her arm to stop her.
"Sorry I just I'm the HBIC and I made this practice and we haven't really spoke about what happened between us yet because of this practice and it looks rather suspicious you just watching from a window and I have to get rid of you because that's what they're expecting of me" she rambled out.

Toni stared blankly at Cheryl and the girl panicked silently not letting go of the girl's arm.
"Well..." Cheryl shook the girl a little and Toni smiled in a cute kinda way.

"Oh my bad" she shook her head lightly to rattle the thoughts around in her head "I didn't hear anything after the word 'sorry'" she teased again.

Cheryl lips twisted into smile that she tried to force away but failed
"Good God you never stop do you?" She questioned the girl on her constant flirting shaking her head disapprovingly but Toni just shrugged
"You give me so many good opportunities babe" Toni couldnt help but feel proud of herself. Not only was her flirting game on point but she had recieved a third apology from the ice queen and that made Tomi feel rather cocky.

"Alright alright whatever just get out of here I will text you later after practice"
"Okay okay" Toni held her hands up in defence for the second time in the last 5 minutes. But before either of them could move Veronica opened the door and interrupted the two.

"Hello again" Veronica smiled at Toni and Cheryl gave the girl a look of annoyance. "Interested in cheerleading?" She questioned pointing back at the door.
"More like interested in cheerleaders" Toni mumbled and Cheryl had to hold back a laugh at the girl's comment.
Ronnie however wasn't sure whether she had actually heard what she thought she'd heard.
"Excuse me" she scrunched her face in confusion but tried to remain composed.
"Nothing" she let out a small laugh "I was just apologising to Cheryl for disturbing your closed practice" she made a 'ssss' sound and slapped her thighs.
"So I'm just gonna..."
"I mean you can stay as long as you tryout if you want" Veronica spat out. She even looked shocked that she said it herself.
"Huh?" She said
"Huh?" Cheryl mimicked
"Umm I mean..."
"Excuse me, Veronica can I talk to you for a minute" Cheryl widened her eyes and flicked her head to motion for the girl to followed her.
She pulled the girl aside and despite thier attempts at whispering Toni heard a great deal of what was said.
"Serpent" yada yada yada "not allowed" yada yada yada "HBIC my decision" so on and so fourth
After a few seconds Toni interrupted by clearing her throat.
"Umm I can hear you" she rolled back on her heels and clasped her hands together awkwardly.
Cheryl went into cold mode and spoke again "Good then you heard that tryouts were last week, you're a serpent, Veronica has no authority to offer you an audition and ... let's face it what could you really bring to the table." She bluntly spoke.

"Cheryl. Harsh." Veronica muttered
"Have you ever known me to be anything less Ronnie. I tell it how it is now ..." she towards Toni a slight look of regret in her eyes " be gone" she Waved the girl off with no more than a glance at her and then she turned and walked back into the gym.
She immediately walked towards the locker room and sighed in frustration when she got there.
She hated being mean to Toni but what else could she do. It already looked strange to Veronica that she was talking civil to her and then Ronnie trying to over power her. No way.

Plus she couldnt have Toni on the team. Having to see her everyday, tell her what to do and be mean to her to keep up appearances. Atleast in the halls she could avoid the girl and pretend she didn't have a somewhat intense attraction towards her that caused her to question everything she had been taught emotionally, sexually and physically.
And so Cheryl did what Cheryl did best she put up a thick cinderblocked wall with and layer of icicles surrounding it and let her cold breath spray from her mouth like a dragon expelling smoke.

.......
Back in the hall Veronica had her mouth agape. Well any question of the hickeys was now buried way deep down in a pile of doubt after that. There was no way that girl would get within 5 ft of Toni without means to hurt her.

She looked at Toni who genuinely seemed disheartened
"I'm sorry about Cheryl"
Toni realised her expression and perked up
"Oh please I can deal with Cheryl"  Toni Waved her off.
"I know but still she doesn't have to be that nasty" Veronica shrugged "I better get back I'm sorry if I got your hopes up"
"Nah its cool" Toni laughed "I'm not much of a cheerleader type I was just..." she thought for a split second then smiled "curious" she winked at the girl leaving Veronica a little startled while she walked away.

Decided to make this chapter a little longer on account of my absence lately ... hope y'all enjoyed