Bree

Kildare County High School

As if she wasn't already dealing with enough, Kalea could now look forward to the next nine months of assessments and detentions to juggle into her routine. Slamming the back door of Kie's car behind her, Lea took in the school for the first time as a Junior, watching everyone head in through the doors as the first bell rang. 

"Hey, chill out," Kie scolded, watching JJ take a chug from his flask. 

"If I blackout, just don't remind me," JJ shut his door too as Lea rounded the car towards them. 

"That's not funny," frowned Kie. 

As the four of them walked towards the doors, whispers and pointing fingers headed their way. 

Hey, that's them.

There they are. 

Look at them. 

Didn't think they'd show up. 

Heard they got arrested. 

Think they had something to do with it? 

"Sorry, were you expecting to get through this sober?" Lea stuck her head past Pope to glance at Kie. 

Kie's response was lost in her throat as they all halted, staring at the memorial in front of them. John B's name is written on a surfboard surrounded by flowers and condolences. As if half the student body wasn't chatting shit and gawking at them when they walked in. 

"I feel like people are staring at us," Kie looked around. 

Lea let out a snort, "if there's one thing people love it's good old fashioned gossip."

"Not even trying to be discreet," JJ agreed. 

"Guys, I can't be late," Pope began to walk in, hurried. 

"Hey," Kie rushed after him, "hey, we've gotta stick together." She held out both of her hands, one outstretched to Pope, the other to Lea. 

"Yeah, okay," Pope took it, "stick together."

Lea took Kie's hand, grabbing JJ's arm as the four of them walked in together. 

☀️

"and the slave becomes the new rule. Now, Diocletian splits the sprawling Roman Empire..."

Lea doodled over her notes as her fingers tapped against her thigh, contemplating whether or not she could sneak out for a smoke. Knowing Mr Sunn, however, he'd probably detect the smell of smoke from a mile away and throw her ass in detention. Not a good look considering she'd been in school for less than two hours. 

Suddenly, a phone ping from the desk in front pulled her out of her distorted focus, her own phone lighting up and vibrating against the desk. Across from her, Kie's phone chimes as did JJ's. Quickly, Lea shoved her pencil case over the phone, hoping to mask the noise.