Road Trip 2.0

Lea was in the middle of failing her history test when Pope was pulled out of class

Lea was in the middle of failing her history test when Pope was pulled out of class. The man requesting him, stood by the door, was unfamiliar and the three Pogues lifted their heads up as Pope walked out in confusion. What was that about? 

He returned only a few minutes later, urgently walking to his seat before holding up an envelope in his hands. 

"Is that the wheat symbol?" Kie squinted at the crest. 

Pope only nodded, a frantic look in his eyes. 

"What the f-" JJ said loudly, halting as Mr Sunn whipped his head around, "- fudge."

Their concentration was gone for the rest of the test, as Mr Sunn demanded silence yet the Pogues demanded answers. When the bell finally rang Pope shot to his feet before dashing out the door, Lea stumbling to shove her stuff in her ratty backpack so they could follow him. 

"Is this a game of tag?" JJ despaired as they followed Pope down the corridor into the library, "Do I need to hit you with my protractor? What's going on?"

The librarian shushed him aggressively. 

 "Seriously, Pope," Lea whispered, "you're driving us insane!" 

"Okay, so that guy was from the scholarship committee," Pope began to talk as they sat down at the computers, "take a look at this." He handed them the letter, "read it."

JJ snatched it before Lea could take it, opening it and beginning to read it. 

"Out loud," Kie reminded, neither girl having a clue what was going on. 

JJ looked to them and then back to the letter before whispering, "I can't read cursive."

Kie pulled a face as Lea took her turn to snatch it out of his hands, 

"Dear Mr Heyward," she read, 

"I am reaching out because I have material evidence that can exonerate John B Routledge."

Lea looked up briefly to see Pope pacing, the situation suddenly a lot more serious. 

"It is of vital importance that you come and meet with me in person at my offices at 27 King Street, Charleston at 8:00 pm sharp tonight. Please come alone.

Regards, 

C.Limbrey"  

Lea finished reading, a million questions running through her head. Who was C.Limbrey? Why Pope? Why Pope alone? What material evidence? 

"What the-" Kie murmured, taking the letter out of Lea's hand. 

"Charleston?" JJ frowned. 

"That's like an eight-hour drive, plus the ferry," Pope continued to pace, "how are we supposed to get there tonight?"