Hawks Nest

The five friends sat around the campfire

"Hey guys, so, like, my dad's already gonna kill me," Pope said, "so what's this mandatory meeting about?"

John B and JJ shared a look before JJ confirmed, "you might as well tell him, man, before we're gaffed."

Lea looked around, confused. What the hell were they on about.
"You ready for this?" John B asked, looking around at the Pogues.

"Yeh," Kie said impatiently.

"So the gold never went down with the Royal Merchant."

Lea let out an audible sigh as she leant into her hands, struggling to believe the amount of trouble she had put herself just for more treasure hunting.

"Oh my God, here we go again," Lea was glad to know Pope shared her frustration.

"No, all right, wait. Hear him out alright?" JJ looked at them both, before Lea nodded her head, defeated.

John B still looked extremely excited, like it was his turn to tell the campfire story.
"It's been here the whole time." He paused for effect.
"It's on the island."

"Are you serious?" Kie asked in disbelief. "Oh my god."

"I'd like to voice my skepticism." Pope, the voice of reason, began.

"I'm sure you would Pope, but can I please present you with my evidence, sir?" John B stood up and walked around.

"Proceed," Pope sounded extremely dubious.

"All right, so, in my backpack, I have a letter from Denmark Tanny."

"Who the hell's that?" Lea asked, growing more confused by the minute.

"Denmark Tanny was a slave that survived the Royal Merchant wreck. Check this out."

John B handed Kie the piece of paper as Lea scooted over to see it to.

"Here you go. Okay, slaves weren't mentioned as crew members on the ship, but my dad, he found the complete manifest. That was his big discovery. So Tanny used the gold from the Merchant to buy his freedom."

Lea whistled to JJ, handing him the letter to give to Pope.

"And with that he bought his farm. Drumroll, please, because that farm is..."

Lea thought for a second, her eyebrows crunching.
"Tannyhill?" She looked up.

"Seriously?" John B looked annoyed, "that was my line."

"You just totally stole his moment," JJ agreed, jokingly.

"Wait, Tannyhill?" Kie brought them back to the task at hand.

"Yeah, so after that, he used his money to free even more slaves, and then he sold a shit-ton of rice, which pisses off all the white planters, and then they decided to lynch him."