Plot Twist

"Are you sure you're alright?" Lea dabbed at JJ's face again with the cloth

"I'm fine, Lee," JJ looked at the girl, running a hand through his floppy hair. "But check you out," JJ jabbed the small bruise on Lea's arm "you sure you don't need an ambulance 'cus damn!"

"It's tough being the fighter of the group," Lea huffed, dramatically, earning a chuckle from JJ as he leant his head on her shoulder.

They were sat on her porch steps, beer in hands. Lea's mom was out on a night shift, leaving the two kids on their own for the night.

Lea took a gulp of her beer, gazing out at the dark skyline.
"Did you think we'd find it?"

"The treasure?" JJ asked, Lea nodding. "Nah, you and me ain't got that kind of luck." JJ's hand interlaced hers as he twirled the ring on her finger.

"I like to think we're lucky." Lea leant her head against JJ's. "Ain't got a lot but what we have is kinda cool."

"Kinda cool." Their fingers played with each other in between them.

"JJ... What did you and Pope do?" Lea smiled, hoping JJ would spill.

"Deny, deny, deny." JJ sang.

"Pogues don't keep secrets."

"Like you and Kie don't sit in that very hammock having 'confidential chats'."

"That's different," Lea laughed.

"Deny, deny, deny," JJ continued singing.

Lifting her head, Lea laughed, "I hate you."

JJ lifted his head up, turning to meet Lea's gaze. "Sure you do." Her smile softened, her laugh dying, her breathe catching in her throat as their foreheads were almost touching. Their hands stopped moving, neither making a sound.

JJ's eyes lingered on Lea's lips as she moved closer towards him, the sound of his empty beer bottle hitting the porch step below.

As their lips met painfully slow, Lea closed her eyes, dropping her beer bottle too as JJ's hands came to her face.

It was slow at first, neither of them sure what was happening. As JJ pulled away almost self-consciously, Lea caught her breathe, her lips cold.

She sat up, moving away from JJ, trying to convince herself not to. Not to let herself get dragged down by another boy, let alone JJ. Because the things that boy made her feel, well, he was nothing but trouble. He brought out all her feelings of insecurity, the feeling of being second place always, her feelings that weren't reciprocated.

But he made her laugh. Made her smile. Made feel like she belonged.

Muttering a "what the hell", Lea crashed her lips back onto JJ's, this kiss filled with passion as he quickly responded, their lips molding around each others. Turning and leaning towards him, Lea moved her arm, wrapping it around his neck as JJ's hands pulled her closer towards him.