That Escalated Quickly

They hadn't run too far, finding a junkyard nearby to lay low, the four Pogues unsure of what to do next

The sound of engines roaring ahead caused Lea to look up from where she stood underneath the open warehouses roof. Glancing at everyone else, all four of them hurried out to see what it was. Ward Cameron's plane flew above their heads. Along with all the gold.

"There goes the gold," JJ said bitterly, before kicking a plastic chair, "shit!"

"Fuck!" Pope yelling caused Lea to turn around. Pope was normally the calm one.

"Pope!" Kie called as he began kicking and hitting the wall, startling both Lea and JJ.

You knew it was bad when Pope got mad.

"God damn it!" Pope picked up a club, swinging it into the piles of junk. "Shit! Fuck!" He moved about, beating the crap out of all the scrap around him.

Lea could only look on in horror. Who the hell was this? And where was Pope?

"Damn it!" JJ's arm reached out to Lea as Pope cried out, sending a broken television flying. He had completely lost it. He carried on shouting and screaming, destroying everything in his path as the three spectators exchanged a bewildered look.

"Pope!" Kie tried again as Pope threw a trash can at the wall. "Pope!"

Hyperventilating, Pope collapsed onto an old sofa, crying softly.

"Pope." Kie repeated, softer this time, walking over to him unsure of what to do.

Lea and JJ stayed further back, Lea still stood behind JJ's shoulder, both too stunned to react.

"Yeah dude." JJ walked towards Pope. "I was wondering when this was gonna happen." Standing in front of Pope, JJ held out a blunt.
"There you go Chief. A little weed never hurt no one."

Lea's eyebrows scrunched, unsure of JJ's comment, but nonetheless remaining quiet.

"JJ." Kie looked on disapprovingly.

"Relax, Kie." JJ still held the blunt, Pope looking at it, unsure.

Lea turned her head as a car drove past, quickly walking under the roof and towards the group.
"You know he doesn't smoke," Lea added, prompting at JJ to be nice.

However, as soon as she had finished her sentence, the blunt was taken out of JJ's hands, Pops studying it closely.

"Well, not until today." JJ sat down next to Pope.

"Pope," Kie sounded desperate. "What is that gonna help?"

Pope stayed silent for a minute.

"I lost my scholarship. Walked out in the middle of the interview. Every-" Pope's voice broke and he broke eye contact with Kie, turning to gaze out of the junkyard. "It's gone. It's not gonna happen."