Would You Rather?

The sun had set a few hours later, and the girls were sat at the back of the boat, the blunt finished

Sarah wouldn't stop laughing as the other two sat in silence.

"Wow" she laughed. "Guess what?"

"What?" Lea said with fake enthusiasm, staring up at the sky.

"Would you rather... have- I was imagining you like this just now." Sarah pointed at Kie. "It was pretty funny. Would you imagine- would you rather... Have nipples for eyes or eyes for nipples? Imagine if you get really old and your nipples- your boobs get saggy, and your nipples, if they were your eyes, you could see if your shoes were untied." Sarah chuckled as the two other girls looked at each other.

"How were you imagining Kie?" Lea asked warily.

"Is this like your first time smoking or something?" Kie was unamused.

"No." Sarah said defensively, which roughly translated to 'yes.'

"Hey Kiara..."

"Oh my god, enough with the 'hey Kiara!' bullshit! Why'd you do it?"

Lea turned to look at Sarah, keen to find out the answer.

"Why did I do what?"

"We were best friends. We- we stole beers from yours dad's fridge, we watched movies together, we cried about boys. And the next thing I know I'm watching your birthday party happen from Instagram."

"It was one party."

"You invited everyone except me."

Lea remained quiet, lost in her own world, knowing she wasn't supposed to be in this conversation.

"And then you told everybody I was the reason that the party got busted."

"Okay, well, who else would've called the cops?"

"Neighbours?" Lea suggested.

"You never asked." Kie replied to Sarah, the two largely ignoring Lea. "You just let the rumor do that I was a rat. You were my best friend, and then you ghosted me, and I don't even know why!" Kie voice rose slightly. "I mean really, what did I do?"

"You liked me." Sarah said, causing Lea to give her a weird look.

"What?"

"When... People get... Close to me, I feel trapped. And... I bail. And then I blame them for it. I'm really sorry..."

Lea grabbed Kie's hand, her best friend close to tears. It was Sarah's loss.

"... And I miss you." The two girls looked at each other, Lea feeling more out of place than a bull in a china shop. "Do you think there's a chance that we could be okay again?"