Just Like The Good Ol' Days

It was a long boat ride back to OBX

It was a long boat ride back to OBX. They'd taken driving shifts through the night and now they'd docked on a random dock, still some while away from Kildare Island. 

But breakfast was their first mission. The boys were back on the boat as the girls scowered through the overgrown land around them. Kie had found a watermelon, hitting jackpot, and they quickly smashed it open and began to devour it, listening to Sarah's tales of being a fugitive. 

"Wait, you got married?!" Lea looked up from her watermelon, eyes wide. 

"It wasn't exactly legal, but..." Sarah flushed, trying to hide the smile on her face, "... yeah."

Kie and Lea grinned at each other, chuckling softly. 

"So, am I crazy," Sarah changed the conversation, "or is there definitely something going on between you and Pope?"

Kie shrugged, her turn to go all awkward and giggly, "maybe."

"That's not a no," Lea teased. 

"It's not a no," Kie was suddenly very interested in her watermelon. 

"Girl," Sarah tried, but they all just burst into laughter. 

Lea didn't know the last time she had laughed this hard. Or the last time she'd been this carefree.

Well, she did. Last time the Pogues were together.

"So what about the OG Pogue on Pogue macking?" Sarah suddenly asked once their laughs had stopped, "you and JJ still desperately in love?"

Lea's smile dropped as she too, was suddenly fascinated by the watermelon in her hand. It was truly captivating, "yeah, we're alright," 

Despite her eyes never leaving the pink watermelon flesh, Lea knew Sarah and Kie were exchanging glances. 

"Alright?" Sarah asked, cautiously, "has something happened?"

"No, nothing, really," Lea took a deep breath, finally looking up, "just a rough patch, you know."

Neither girl said anything, and Lea felt like they were expecting her to elaborate. But she was honestly as confused as they were, full of questions and no answers. So, she stood up, "but we're all together now, right? So it's all gonna get better."

"It has to," Sarah agreed, dropping the subject and picking up an unopened watermelon to bring back to the boys. 

They walked back to the dock, climbing on board as the boys suddenly ceased their conversation. 

"What are you lot talking about?" Sarah raised an eyebrow. 

"Fishing," said John B quickly. 

"Dropping lures," JJ confirmed, "that's that, you know."

"Sure," Lea nodded sarcastically. 

"Need help?" JJ held his hands up to take the watermelon, nearly dropping it, "goodness gracious."