P4L

"They're a bunch of fancy people, they've had three governors in the family," Kie read off google as they drove along King Street, "they've run Charleston for, like, 300 years

"They're a bunch of fancy people, they've had three governors in the family," Kie read off google as they drove along King Street, "they've run Charleston for, like, 300 years."

Lea, who was by the window, looked up at the huge houses and gigantic plots, that could very easily be mistaken for hotels, "they make our Kooks look like Pogues."

Pope pulled the truck into a parking bay at the side of the road, looking up to the closest house.

"You sure this is the place, Pope?" JJ leant forward to see past Lea.

"Pretty sure," Pope didn't sound pretty sure.

"Look, it says 27 on the gate," Lea pointed to the small writing, "this is it." Opening her door, they all climbed out one by one.

"Fat city, for sure," JJ remarked as they took in the view. Lea had no fucking clue what he meant.

"27 King Street," Pope consulted the letter, "yep. We're here."

"Talk about home security," JJ walked up to the gate, and Lea followed his gaze. Barbed and twisted wire covered the top of the tall wrought iron gate, with sharp dagger-like spikes sticking out, "Are those spikes to keep people out?"

Kie shook her head, "no," she said softly.

"Those were slave quarters over there," Pope pointed to an outhouse in the garden before looking back up to the spikes, "these spikes were to keep people in."

Lea gulped, "I don't think this is such a good idea anymore."

"It isn't," Pope agreed, before reaching over to try and open the gate. It opened with a long creak, "but we're doing it anyway."

Lea was incredibly grateful when Kie held out a hand as they followed Pope through the garden. Reaching the front door, Pope knocked, rather aggressively before turning back, "was that too much?"

"It echoed the entire house, that's for sure," JJ encouraged, "so they definitely heard it."

"Maybe nobody's home?" Lea suggested.

Pope reached out, knocking again before jumping back as the door began to open. A man opened it, glaring down at them with angry eyes before narrowing in on Pope, "you must be Pope."

"Uhm," Pope looked to the others who were suddenly mute, "are you Mr Limbrey?"

"Miss Limbrey was expecting you yesterday," the man corrected.

"Oh, I'm sorry, my car broke down on the way up here," Pope stammered slightly, but managed to keep it together.

"Carburetor blew up in the middle of nowheresville," JJ summed it up, "sorry 'bout that."

The man held JJ's eye for a few seconds of tense silence before turning back to Pope, "yeah, she was, uh, real upset when you didn't show up."

"We tried to call, but there's no number on the invitation," Kie looked down to the letter still clasped in Pope's hand, "we got here as fast as we could."