Flicker of Hope

"So y'all are telling me this is the firearm Rafe Cameron killed Peterkin with?" 

The four Pogues stood around Shoupe's desk as he looked up at them in disbelief, pointing to the gun JJ had placed on his desk. 

"That's exactly what we're telling you, Shoupe," JJ nods. 

"And the exact same firearm that Ward just used to kill Gavin," Pope added. 

Shoupe went to speak before swallowing, clearly agitated, "and where's that corpse again?"

"Didn't you look?" Kie looked taken aback. 

"I checked the hospital, I went by his house, he was out," Shoupe said.

"Yeah, no shit, 'cause he's dead!" JJ threw his hands up,

"He was out?" Lea repeated, wide-eyed, "how are you not getting this?"

"Listen to yourself, it makes perfect sense!" 

JJ, Kie and Lea all tried to talk, but Pope held his hands up trying to get them to calm down before they pissed the Sheriff off even more. 

"Just because he's not in his goddamn house does not mean he was a victim of homicide," Shoupe said slowly, enunciating each word. 

"I told you this was a bad idea," JJ turned to Pope,

"What are you talking about?" Kie's voice rose. 

Lea rubbed her eyes, almost checking to see she had understood this correctly, "can you at least send it off for ballistics and fingerprints? Do anything besides sitting on your ass all day?!"

"Nah, he'll sit there and wax that moustache," JJ ripped his hat off angrily, "is that even real?"

"I'll wax this -" Shoupe stood up, pointing a finger at JJ. 

"Hey, shut up JJ!" Pope yelled. 

"It's not fair!" Kie spoke as Shoupe walked over to the door. 

"Aww, I'm sorry, did I hurt his feelings?" tensions rose between Pope and JJ. 

"Shut up!"

Shoupe opened the door before turning back to them, "get out."

"Are you kidding?!" Lea raised her voice. 

"I got work to do," Shoupe raised a hand, pointing to the door, "out."

"Seriously?" JJ had to look away for a moment as Pope slammed his hands down on the desk. 

"Y'all are smelling up my office."

There were a few minutes of silence as the hopelessness began to set into the Pogues. 

"Did Ward bribe you?" Kie asked, on the verge of tears, "this doesn't make any sense." She was the first to leave. 

JJ followed her briskly, "you ain't gonna do shit."