hell's angels [26]

Chapter 26

What Lucius hadn’t explained was that we now had to restore some kind of order to the city. It wouldn’t have been too bad if there wasn’t the very real possibility of more rebel demons lurking on the streets. It was doubtful that Claudia could have managed all of the destruction and panic alone. She had with just thirty men and a small pack of hell hounds. And that’s all it was, a fledgling pack. Caius and his brother had informed us that there were still thirty or so hellhounds unaccounted for.  I shuddered at the thought.

Swinging my sword through the air in a delicate arc, to distract myself from the tension thrumming through my veins, I sighed as its deadly whistle streaked past my ear. I had been walking for hours but there was nothing and no one to be seen, just streets of burnt out cars and ransacked homes.

It was going too smoothly and as soon as the thought entered my mind I cursed myself for it. Because it was like I had drawn a target on my back. A growl rippled outwards from the gaping doorway of what was once a family home but was now a mere burnt out shell. I didn’t even have to turn to see what was lurking there.

The hellhound taunted me. I could feel its gaze upon me as it sat on its haunches on the top step. And yet, it did not pounce. It was waiting.

My hackles rose on instinct, and my wings flared out to the sides. Every little detail screamed out at me while I quietened the voice inside my head that wanted nothing more than to run away. I shivered. Now that I was paying attention and not swinging my sword around like it was a toy, I could feel something in the air. It was different – uncomfortable. It was like ants were crawling all over my skin.

Glancing the left, I was greeted by the sight of an ordinary and rather unassuming row of houses. It was so plain and yet it felt more extraordinary in comparison to any sensation I had even felt and not it a good way.

“What the -?”

“Please do not finish that sentence.” A cool and even voice spoke softly from behind me. And yet the tone of voice was so commanding, it hit me with enough force that I felt like I had been punched in the chest.

Spinning on my heel as I gasped in desperate breaths of air, I came face to face with... I paused and frowned as I took in what could only be an angel. No, I corrected myself; he must have been an arch-angel because there was pure power oozing from his very being. And staring into those beautiful baby blues I knew my instincts were right for he looked too much like Lucius and yet not enough.

“You defy all logic and yet here you are. My father’s pet masquerading as one of us.” He chortled like it was a joke but there was no twinkle to his stare, no mirth in the action.

“I don’t mean to be rude,” I cut through his horrible giggles, my tone belying just how false those words were. “But who are you?”

That brought him up short. Taller than Lucius but slimmer, this man exuded power. He was thin and wiry yet the slightly gaunt look to his facial features only made his glare more sharp and cutting.

“Who I am is none of your concern. What matters is I have been watching for many centuries and just as it was all about to go my way, you, a mere woman, had to go and foil my plans. Not this time though, I will get what I want.”

I opened my mouth to ask what on earth the crazy bugger was talking about when he held his hand out to the side and the air thickened until a long gleaming blade appeared within his grasp. It was so beautiful that I actually felt myself entranced by it as he wrapped is fingers loosely around the hilt and swished it through the air with practiced skill.

“Did you really think Claudia could figure this entire scheme by herself?” he laughed incredulously when he saw my expression. “Do be serious woman. Do you think we advertise how to break the seals like we are a fat balding man announcing the weather? If we did that there would be hell on earth already.” The archangel clucked his tongue and rolled his eyes. “I really don’t understand what makes you so special. I think my father has finally gone crazy.”