Hell's Angels [2] unedited.

Chapter 2

After the room had been restored back to its normal state, unnatural gloom and all, Lucius took a seat behind his desk by slumping heavily into the leather backed chair. The chair squeaked and groaned in protest before silencing as if shushed by an unseen force. A grave expression was firmly upon Lucius’ face and did nothing to hinder my unease. He rubbed his temples with the tips of his fingers, the actions getting faster as each moment passed. It was as though he was trying to rub away all of his worries as well as the throbbing within his skull.

Checking the door was firmly closed, I slowly made my way towards him. The impatient growl he threw my way however had me scurrying the last few feet and falling heavily into the chair opposite him. My hands instantly moved to the arm rests where I wrapped my fingers firmly around them so that I could squeeze the hell out of them.

For a few moments, Lucius and I did nothing but stare past one another. Who knew what was troubling him? I was stuck in processing the dread that was ebbing within me. If it was that bad for me then it had to be a hundred times worse for him because he had a whole heap more resting upon his shoulders. It wouldn’t be too long before it all became just too suffocating and the only thing I could do to distract myself from running was to change my thoughts and hope I wouldn’t have the opportunity to linger on the unpleasant things.

“What’s going on Luce?” I questioned when the silence became unbearable.

Running his hand through his hair, Lucius let out an aggravated sigh.

“Many things,” his voice held none of its usual strength and was rather weary.

Quickly though, his hand snapped out and snatched his phone from his desk before he hurled it across the room and a growl issued from his lips. On instinct, I ducked my head just as a loud thud resounded through the room. A quick glance over my shoulder confirmed that the phone was now embedded in the wall. The phone itself didn’t even looked marred from what I could see of it protruding from the wall.

Lucius shot me a glance when I returned my attention to him so, without a word, I pushed myself up from the chair. It took several sharp tugs to pull the phone free from the wall. It looked just as immaculate as the day I had bought it – there wasn’t even a scratch on the screen. Giving the damaged wall a cursory glance, I rolled my eyes at the rather large hole there and decided I could worry about it later. My feet dragged me away from the damage and back to the desk where I handed the phone back to Lucius. I chose to remain standing though rather than return to my seat. My arms then folded across my chest as I stared down at the man who looked decidedly tired with the dark circles under his eyes and his general unkempt state.

“Don’t throw it away again,” I warned lightly trying to remove the tension that was bearing down on me. When his eyes finally met mine I gave him a small smile and then spoke in a gentle voice. “Please Lucius, tell me what’s wrong.”

“I don’t even know where to begin.” He ran his hands through his hair and let his gaze fall to the desk. “You know how busy it’s been around here lately. Well that’s only half of it. I didn’t want you to worry of course, I wanted to keep you out of it because of – well you know why.”

I nodded and waited for him to continue but the shrill ring of his phone filled the air. Stepping back in surprise, I pressed my lips together and as I tried to keep the frustration at bay, I dug my fingernails into my arm. Giving me a grim smile, Lucius scooped the phone from the table and then answered the phone as he pressed it to his ear. Immediately I knew the conversation wasn’t about anything good as he rested his forehead in his palm as he spoke, his eyes scrunching up as if pained by what he was hearing.