Hell's Angels [19]

Chapter 19

The next morning, loud banging startled me awake. Sitting upright in my bed as the covers pooled around my waist, I blinked in confusion at the gloom that hung over the room.

Bang. Bang. BANG.

The insistent knocking started again. It echoed through the house, reverberating off of the walls after the banging had stopped. For a long second, I just blinked at the intrusive noise before I startled out of my daze and forced myself from my bed.

I tiptoed my way down the hall and again down the stairs in an attempt to remain unnoticed but the continual knocking easily covered any sound I might have made. I shot an anxious glance back up the stairs when I reach the bottom, only just remembering my house guest and the precarious situation we have found ourselves in.

Trouble always seems to follow me, I muttered under my breath all the while I was getting closer and closer to the front door. I could see the structure shuddered with each pounding that it took and I idly wondered whether it would actually fly off its hinges if the person kept on banging as hard as they were.

Not wanting to take the risk, I cleared my throat and squared my shoulders with the front door like I was having a standoff with the person on the other side of the door.

“WHO IS IT?” I questioned, shouting loud enough to be heard over the din.

One more bang hit the door though with less force than before as if my words had startled them enough that they couldn’t stop themselves from finishing the movement.

“Savannah, is that you?” A voice asked. It was muffled by the door but even then I could recognise that voice anywhere. It wasn’t anywhere near as attuned to me as Lucius’ was but the brief time I had spent with him only two days ago was enough to know him from just a few words.

“Hades?”

Stepping forwards, I put the door on the chair before undoing the many bolts and locks that held it shut. And then finally I opened it only to come face to face with the man mountain.

“Hades, what are you doing here?”

Unclasping the chain, I held the door wide and beckoned him inside, taking not of his sopping wet attire which did nothing to diminish his large stature.

“I got a call and I see they really weren’t kidding.” His eyes travelled past me and for a moment I thought perhaps someone was standing behind me only to remember the wings when they flexed on my back.

“Oh yeah, those.” I added lamely giving a shrug. It caused me to wince as the added weight on my back caused the extra strain to my aching back. “I wanted to know how to get rid of them but how you can help, I don’t know.”

Hades chuckled at me, the sound filling the sleepy silence of my house as I carefully closed the door behind him.

“It’s fine, I can understand why you think I wouldn’t know. But I was around when all of the angels were born so to speak. It took them many decades to learn subtlety which is why there are so many statues around.” He paused and sent me a wink. “Not that the human race needs any encouragement.”

“Hey, I’m human.”

He raised his brow at my petulant tone.

Folding my arms, I shrugged once more and held off on the wince that wanted to come. “Well I am – mostly.”

He snorted and walked himself further into my house, taking the time to take note of the furnishings and the pictures upon the walls. Most of them contained Danny and unsurprisingly Lucius. He had become a major part of my life since I started working at Satani media and even though there was much unresolved tension between the two of us at time, we had become best friends. I couldn’t even image life without him now.