hell's Angels

Nicole’s due date soon drew near as the both of us spent weeks researching, watching one too many daytime soaps and preparing my house for the presence of a newborn once more. It was nerve racking and frustrating as cabin fever kept rearing its head when we would spend three days with no progress on our end of things and no word from the outside world.

It was one of the reasons why that Sunday was so important to the two of us. With constant seclusion, the only time we actually talked to someone was when we made our trips to the local shop to restock our bread and milk. This was why our first guest since Hades’ departure over four weeks ago sent the two of us into a panicked frenzy.

Nicole had unquestionably spent the past two days nesting and every surface was gleaming as brightly as the day I had moved in. I had taken over the kitchen and put my rather limited cooking skills to good use. The beef was sending waves of delicious aroma through the house as it cooked and I had taken on the look of someone who had just ran a marathon due to my flushed face and frizzy hair. The tracksuit didn’t help either.

Cracking open a window try and alleviate the humidity, I allowed myself five minutes to breathe. I had made all of his favourites, roast potatoes, sweet potato which I would later mash in with the carrots and my little boy’s favourite sweet corn. I still blamed that bloody advert for his love of the vegetables but I supposed it was better that he ate a lot of them than being a complete fuss pot and not eating any vegetables at all.

The sound of the front door knocking drew me away from the bubbling pot on top of the stove. For a second I frowned before my face quickly morphed into an expression of pure joy. The last few weeks without him had been agony and there was no doubt that he was probably perfectly fine with the Calantha and her family but I still hated being away from him for so long.

Wiping my hands on the tea towel, I then slung it over my shoulder as I hurried to the door. Somehow my young charge had beaten me to it and was now staring up at all six foot something of gorgeousness that was Lucius Satani. For a second I was distracted by his presence before I noted the little boy chattering away as he was balanced on the older man’s hip.

Not caring about the fact that my two boys were coated in a nice sheen of water from the downpour outside, I launched myself past Nicole and wrapped the two of them in a tight embrace.

“I’ve missed you two,” I whispered as the water quickly seeped through my clothing.

A deep chuckle greeted my ears while my adorable son placed a sloppy kiss onto my cheeks before squealing that he missed me too. It about broke my heart that he should even know those words already but that was my life and it was why I cherished the moments like this.

A wet patch formed on my cheek as rain dripped from the gutting. With a startled yelp, I leapt backwards pulling my two boys in with me.

“Best get out of the rain,” I murmured as my fingers quickly set about unclasping their raincoats while Nicole swiftly shut off the door behind us.

“How are you here Lucius?” I questioned as I pulled Danny from his arms, taking great care removing my son’s raincoat before giving him an embarrassingly sloppy kiss on the cheek.

Earning a giggle from my son, I levelled my eyes on a silent Lucius to see that he had soft look to his features and his lips were turned up in a smile. I smiled back and with one arm, I dragged him into a hug, holding him close before pulling away enough to give him a peck on his cheek. There was more giggling, this time Nicole joined in with my son causing the three of us to startle. For just a few seconds I had forgotten she was even there.

“Sorry, I didn’t even make introductions,” I felt my face burn red as I stepped back but allowed Lucius to keep his arm loosely around my waist. “Lucius this is Nicole, my charge and Nicole, this is Lucius my b-.”

“Boyfriend,” Lucius cut in before I could finish the sentence. “Supremely hot boyfriend and future father of her progeny.” He then sent a rather dazzling smile in the teen’s direction.

She gave a snort and covered her mouth with her hand but we could all still hear her giggles.

“You’re right Savannah,” she said between giggles. “He’s funny.”

I nodded my head and let lose a little chuckle. We had spoken about some of Lucius’ antics over our time together and mostly I was reminiscing about all of the stupid things he did or said.

“You were talking about me?” he turned his head towards me and waggled his brows at me. Of course, being Lucius’ mini me, Danny tried to copy the gesture but just ended up looking very confused.

Using my finger to smooth out my son’s brow, I allowed a laugh to escape my lips.

“Enough of that, I don’t need my little man picking up your bad habits Mr Satani.” I pretended to be stern but my lips struggled to remain within the tight line.

All too soon I was grinning and laughing with the rest of them as we moved to the dining table.

As we all sat down to eat, I allowed my gaze to wander over the group. Danny was chirping away to Nicole in his excited babble that I still had trouble understanding half of the time but yet she sat there and smiled with patience. I couldn’t help but think that she would be a good mum. Danny had already adopted her a sisterly figure, and the camaraderie showed her that she was starting to feel the same.

This was my family I thought, opening my hand under the table to accept the warm hand of my employer and best friend. Our eyes met and he nodded his head at the two children before rolling his eyes in a playful manner. I giggled when I followed his gaze to see the two kids with their heads together whispering under their breaths and laughing behind their hands.

That moment felt so fragile, so precious that I never wanted it to end. It was a delicate happiness, one that I had longer for in my dreams waking and asleep over the past few years. And now here it was when I was least expecting it.

“Anyway, you didn’t answer my question before. What are you doing top side?” I questioned under my breath as Danny and Nicole dug into their dinner, nudging one another and giggling every two seconds.

“Hades came back.”

It was all I got in reply and I felt that there was much more to those words than he was saying right then but I chose not to push it too far at that moment. Instead I thought back onto all of the wacky weirdness that had been happening in my life.

“Did you know Claudia was here too?”

“What?” Lucius replied distractedly.

“Claudia? You know the one who wants you to make her your queen?” I shrugged my shoulders as I shovelled in a mouthful of food before speaking once more. “She was in Canary Wharf the other day. She seemed all shifty to me.”

 All I got was silence and when I turned my head to regard him, Lucius’ gaze was on the table and there was a frown upon his face. Giving his hand a squeeze under the table, he allowed his gaze to meet mine and I could see that there were some serious thought going on behind those eyes.

“Not tonight Luce. Let’s just have tonight as a family – a dysfunctional family but a family nonetheless.” I smiled at him but quickly feeling the weariness creeping into my bones. “We’ll get down to the serious tomorrow?”

Nodding his head, he squeezed my hand in silent acceptance. Tomorrow. It was a promise. For tonight it would just be us.

If only the fates would let us have that.