Hell's Angels [17]

Chapter 17

It took almost an hour for me to gain semblance of coherency. For a while I just sat there with my mouth wide open and a frown on my brow as I stared past the teen into nothingness. A child of each of the three worlds? I repeated over and over like a deranged mantra. Demon, angel and human - the consequences would be catastrophic if the truth got out and as a result it put me in an awkward position. Could I tell Lucius about this without bringing down hell upon the small isolated town? Could I do that without putting my charge and her unborn child in harm’s way?

I mulled these thoughts over and over to myself but I could never come to a direct conclusion, only that the angels already knew about the baby’s heritage. Otherwise, I questioned myself, why would they have sent me here?

“A demon, an angel and a human. Makes it sound like a really bad joke,” I muttered under my breath while thinking that my life had well and truly become a caricature of everything it once was.

“Would you like some tea Ms Holmes?” The teen next to me shook her head and offered me a sheepish smile. “Sorry, I meant Savannah.”

Still half in a daze, I nod my head and allow myself to take in the sparse furnishings of the lounge. It all looked well-worn but there wasn’t anything extra here. Everything looked to be at least ten years old and like the carpet under my feet had been used to the point that the colour had been worn away in well trafficked areas. I could understand considering the fact that it was only her now. There were no parents and obviously no guardians – unless you counted the prison guards that kept the young girl locked away like a pariah.

A shrill scream tore through the air, the sound even permeated through the double glazed windows so loudly that it shook the picture frames upon their hangings. I was dragged from my haze by two small hands grasping my shoulders and shaking me back into awareness. For a moment I did nothing but survey the room with confusion half expecting the television to be on. But there was no sign that there was anything immediately wrong within the room and that was another thing missing from the room – no television.

I opened my mouth to question my charge but before I could get the words past my lips, another piercing scream rattled the windows. My eyes snapped towards the netted window and in the same second, the hair at the nape of my neck stood on end. This is bad news I thought just as a terrifyingly familiar growl tore through the streets and shuddered through the ground.

Shying as far away from the window as I possibly could I felt all of the blood drain from my face. 

“Oh god, why are they here?” I murmured, not even bothering to hide my terror from the nervous teen beside me.

But then, when I tore my gaze from the window and allowed it to rest upon the pregnant teen I felt a sense of duty overtook me. She looked even paler than I probably did and she was hugging her stomach like the simple gesture would protect her unborn child. I knew then, that even though these beasts were here for a reason and that reason was probably her, I knew that I couldn’t let them get to her. There was no way that I was letting someone else become the victim of a hellhound and that was why I pulled back my shoulders, lifted my chin and stared resolutely out onto the streets.

 “Nicole, I need you to lock your doors and then head upstairs. Don’t let anyone in until they’re gone or I tell you it is safe.”

My tone was uncompromising and I left the lounge without giving the teen a chance to respond.

I had no idea why I was even walking out to meet these fiendish beasts that had killed Lucius’ granddaughter but there was something urging me on. A nagging in my mind and heart gave me a responsibility and an insufferable will to defend the powerless against the wrath of evil.