Hell's Angels [28]

Chapter 27

The next few days were a blur. Two of my days were completely lost to sleep and dizziness – a result of the transfer Lucius had told me. I thought it might be part of the price for cheating death once again. But I soon got over it.

The city was a different matter.

Roads had been cleared and news broadcasters had announced that the terror threat was over. That’s what we had managed to pass it all off as – a terror threat. No one would blink twice at that. And yet no one believed things were safe. Things… strange things were happening once again and there was nothing that Lucius and his demons, nor the Angelic, could do to reassure them.

 It was not easy to hide the fact that an entire town had been obliterated. Angel’s Landing was nothing more now than a barren wasteland. Though many people did not know of its existence before, it was now the town that vanished overnight. Now it was merely scorched ground where the town should have been. I still hadn’t told Nicole but I had a feeling she already knew.

I tried to feel something about it, the fact that hundreds of lives had been extinguished but there was nothing but a small nagging in the back of my mind. Death had changed me. And I felt different since my talk with God. Was that what it was like to be an Angel? Was that why they were so cold and indifferent? There were just too many things to think about, billions of other lives to take care of.  Thus, that few hundred lives were nothing but a passing thought in the grand scheme.

I felt nauseous at the thought but not because of guilt, but at the thought that I was starting to lose the thing that defined humans, their humanity. But I wasn’t human anymore.

Unable to sit still any longer and wallow in my thoughts, I forced myself up from the sofa in Lucius’ office. The room had been trashed by Claudia so I had taken it upon myself to make the place more welcoming and people friendly in its new form. It was why the sofa now stretched out before the window, allowing me to look out over the desolation of London. The room was light and airy but I had installed blinds so Lucius could create his dark and moody room if he wanted to. That was his one request.

Pacing up and down the length of the room, I soon found myself back on the sofa. My feet were curled underneath me as I leant against the arm of the chair. My eyes were drawn to the window and the devastating view that could be seen all around.

The sky had gone dark and lightened again before I noticed a change in the room. I didn’t have to turn my head away from the still and smouldering city outside to know that Lucius had appeared beside me.  That was something else that had been altered since my near death. The kiss – we hadn’t talked about it. There was too much to do, too much to think about. Our love life or whatever else you could call it was not as important as the rest of the world. Yet there was this strange awareness between us both.

“Stop sighing Savannah, it won’t help them you know.” The gentle and teasing way in which he spoke those words removed any sting they might have caused.

Still, like the words had prodded me to do it, I sighed once more.

My lips quirked up and I turned my head to Lucius. He was still dressed in his suit, though looking much more rumpled than he had fourteen hours earlier when he had left to talk with the angels –both the fallen and the ones with glistening white wings and a stiff disposition. There was a deep furrow between his brows and his lips were pressed in a tight line.

“Any news?” I asked though from his stance it was clear that anything he had to say was not going to make me smile. Not in the slightest.

“No, it’s too quiet. Apart from a few minor tremors in the Japanese region there has been nothing.” He turned his gaze to me for a second, allowing me to see the worry that laid there in the icy depths of his soul.