Hell's Angels [20]

Chapter 20

I could not get back to sleep after Hades’ departure. Twenty minutes were spent tossing and turning under my covers before I finally sighed and cursed whoever was screwing with me. I had barely gotten four hours of sleep before his arrival due to the large wings protruding from my back and even though they were no longer there, I still found myself restless despite my exhaustion.

With a groan I pushed myself from the bed and instead set about making me and my houseguest some breakfast. Considering how much time the place had been empty which was barely five days, there was really nothing in the cupboards. The milk had turned sour and the cheese had started to grow its own colony. There was only one solution.

Ten minutes later I stepped back into the house with two aromatic bacon and egg rolls as well a pint of milk so that Nicole and I could have a much needed cup of tea. Strolling through the living room, I paused when I noted the great big hulking book that Hades had left behind. A crease forms between my brows as I frown at the inanimate object. If only that scowling would reveal everything that was hidden between the bindings.

Shaking my head, I stepped into the kitchen to see my pregnant charge raiding the fridge, not that there was much to raid unless you could count Babybel’s which had been lingering in the bottom drawer of the fridge.

“I come baring gifts!” I chirped which caused the teen to startle and hit her head on one of the shelves. Much cussing followed before a red faced Nicole peered around the door.

“Ouch. Is that real food?” The teen asked with eagerness before blushing. “Uh – I meant.”

“Don’t worry, I know my fridge is empty unless you like mould.” I smiled and offered her one of the paper bags. “I got you egg and bacon because I wasn’t too sure what you liked. Sauce is in that cupboard.”

The two of spent the next twenty minutes eating in comfortable silence as we tried to get ourselves to some semblance of alertness – though I was failing greatly in that area. Deciding to use the kitchen table as a base of operations, I thumped the giant book Hades had left behind onto the table while Nicole got busy with a pile of felt tips. I had given her the basic run down of everything that had happened in the last few days and the teen decided to document it in Technicolor. I didn’t really understand how it would help but at least it would look pretty.

“So let me get this straight. Someone has killed all of the seers apart from one who is so damned crazy that she isn’t even lucid half the time. On top of that, it appears the is a hostile takeover is occurring which could very well result in hell on earth if we do not stop it.” Nicole tapped a felt tip to her chin not noticing that the cap was removed and her constant tapping while she thought had given her a bright blue goatee.

“Sounds about right,” I replied all the while stifling a laugh that wanted to spill from my lips.

“Oh and let’s not forget the hellhounds.”

I nodded my head in affirmation and glanced back down at the large book. Most of it was ludicrous gibberish that went right over my head but there were the odd paragraphs that rang so true that it was difficult to believe that the book was centuries old.

“It means that the person has the knowledge of the Archs as only they should know how to call them.” I murmured in response while my fingers absently turned page after page. “Though everyone knows who the uppers are so all you would need is the right persuasion to get that information. I found out that even the most loyal people can be swayed- everyone has their price. Mine is family. You can offer me riches but the thing that ultimately sways me is my family. I will do what it takes to protect them. Like Lucius would do for Star.”