hell's angels [29]

Chapter

Three long days had gone past and finally something was happening.it started off as a tingling down my spine as I woke up in the early hours of the morning. It chilled me to the bone because I knew it was probably a precursor to some kind of drama. I just hoped it would be of the less painful and deadly variety.

I had been staying at a small house on the outskirts of town when I had received the call. The house was nothing special to look at from the outside but on the inside it was a hive of activity. The narrow living space was surprisingly large and held six bedrooms. That was a godsend as the young boy, who I had met before the less than cordial meeting with Cordelia, had managed to find several other children who had been left behind in the mad dash to leave the city.

Gary who was named after Gary Barlow – I still smiled at that titbit – had saved several young children and brought them to safety. Walking into the house the day after the battle had been a shock and a revelation but over the following days and weeks, as I sat and spoke with them all, I had noticed something strange about each of these children. They were special and not just children-are-wonderful-miracles kind of special. They were the children of angels and demons special.

But despite being genetic enemies, they had all gravitated towards one another and were cooped up in the safe house with minimal supervision. It was pure mayhem. I made a point of spending most of my free time with them while I waited for something to happen because they needed me and strangely I needed them.

Pausing outside of the lounge, I smiled at the little people sprawled about on the chairs and floor in various states of consciousness. Looking into each face, I could see the reflections of their parents in their eyes. And apart from the single human child in the house, I knew that it was no mere coincidence that their parents had all fled and left just these dozen innocent children to face the dangers of the city. God had a plan and somehow I knew I would be a big part of it. The only question was how.

Gary helped me set the table for dinner while the children were engrossed in an episode of 64 zoo lane. Television was a lifesaver at times and because it was just me on babysitting that night it was an even bigger gift.

I startled from my directionless thoughts by the soft spoken voice beside me.

“Have you found my mum yet?” The small boy asked as he set the final place mat around the large table.

Glancing down at the small boy, I felt my heart ache in sympathy. I didn’t have to say anything because my expression was enough. His head drooped and the boy picked at the corner of the mat. Doing the only thing I could think of, I just stretched out a hand and pulled him into a hug holding him tightly to me.

I wondered idly if Lucius would let me adopt all of the children if we did not find their parents. I had looked at the news coming from the other cities and checked the missing person’s database but none of the children had been reported missing. It was like their mothers and fathers had disappeared into thin air.

“We’ll find her,” I assured before pulling my features into a look of pure defiance. “If not, I’ll personally hunt down your father. But until then you will always have a home here.”

I felt rather than saw his nod while his little arms tightened around my waist.

Dinner was a lively affair, made livelier when there was a sharp rap on the front door. The children were having too much fun creating a mess with the bolognaise sauce to take note of the sound, even Gary was too oblivious to see the panic on my features and he was one of the most observant.

I patted his head as I passed him, taking great care to shut the door to the dining room behind me before making my way to the door. On instinct my arm snapped out to the side and my blade, which had become another extension of me, appeared in my hand.

I paused, took in a deep breath before undoing the numerous bolts on the door. When I finally drew up the courage to pull open the thick wooden door it was a bit of an anti-climax because of the smiling winged man on the other side. Castiel had undergone a change since his wings had altered. He smiled – a lot. It was slightly unnerving the first day but the children and I soon got used to his cheery presence.

“Hey Cass, come on in.”

I shook my hand to make my sword vanish and then stepped to the side to allow him to pass. His eyes flick between where my sword had been a second before and up at my face.

“You’re just in time for dinner.” I lamely offered him when he raised a single brow at me.

I felt my lips quick up and I shrugged my shoulders bring a semblance of a smile to his features.

With a stiff nod of his head, he passed me and entered the house. That was when I noted the other visitors. I frowned because the person my eyes had now focused upon was supposed to be somewhere far away and was supposed to be looking after my son.

“Calantha.” I greeted, my brows drawing up sharply as surprise etched itself onto my features. She laughed and stepped carefully over the threshold, two of her kin following closely behind.

“Calm yourself young one.” Calantha chuckled, her earthy looks beaming at me.

I opened my mouth to speak but the strange earth woman pulled me into a warm but slightly uncomfortable hug. I glanced down and noticed the source of my discomfort. It was the thorns of a vibrant red rose that was in bloom upon her hair. It always amazed me how she could grow flowers in her hair. I had once seen a blue rose settled in those green locks that were made from green vines.

“I am only here to introduce you to some of my friends. They will be taking care of the children.”

Her eyes moved past me, her grassy green lashes fluttering as they stared at the source of laughter and cheer behind me. The sound warmed my heart as I glanced back and stared longingly at the kitchen. And then I stilled.

“They can’t.” I whispered harshly, leaning closer to the woman so only she could hear my words. “They don’t know anything about you all. You’re strangers. And most importantly, they don’t know you even exist.”

Calantha laughed.

And laughed.  

“They know more than you think. Children are perceptive and they possess something that is truly wonderful.”

 When I did not respond, she smiled down at me like she was imparting an incredible life lesson. “Imagination. Even you would have seen one of us when you were a child but your adult mind has made you forget it all. Or pass it all off as a dream.”

I turned my head away and tried my best not to roll my eyes.

“Why do the children need more babysitters?” I questioned, though I knew it was like fighting a losing battle.

“They need babysitters because someone needs to look after them while you are away. You have a big heart Miss Holmes, but the world needs you to stand with Lucius.” 

Without giving me a chance to respond he stalked off into the kitchen with two of her earthen companions in tow. The noise in the kitchen rose to new levels. The excited chatter told me all I needed to know.

A sigh escaped my lips and I shook my head. “No going back now.”

The shrill sound of my phone cut through the air. I hastily dug it out from my pocket and placed the handset to my ear.

“Hello?”

“Savannah,” the voice I knew so well spoke calmly into my ear. “It’s time. Get your bag ready and meet me at the offices in half an hour.”

“What? Why?”

I got no further because the dial tone cut me off. My mouth opened and closed several times and I resisted the urge to throw my phone at the wall.

Something in my heart ached at the thought of leaving the children. But if I didn’t, who would keep the children safe. And I knew that this was not going to be a happy little holiday. If Lucius was calling, it was going to be bad.