Hell's Angels [4] unedited

Chapter 4

After Lucius’ words, Levi and I immediately broke into a flurry of activity. He gluing the phone to his ear and yapping away to some poor person on the other end of the line. I rearranged Lucius’ desk quickly so that he knew what to do before we departed for hell and what could be left until afterwards. And then, when he allowed the two of us to leave, I darted from his office and hurriedly grabbed my things from my desk before scurrying towards the elevator.

I had only gone a few steps however before I had to backtrack. Gently placing my bag back on the desk, I sidled around until I was standing in front of the door. Ever so slowly I bent down and ran fingers down the front of the desk before grasping hold of the handle and yanking. Gasping as my eyes fell on the golden scroll; a strange kind of awe fell over me leaving me gaping open mouthed at the mystery object. I could feel power radiating from it as my hand hovered over the surface of it before I snatched it up from the confines of the drawer and held it tightly within my grasp.

It flashed white hot under my palm before I pushed myself backwards and somehow got into my chair. Holding the end in one hand, I dragged the fingertips of my other hand across the scroll almost reverently as my mind lingered on the possibilities of the contents.  When I couldn’t take it anymore, I snapped open the almost invisible seal and unravelled the golden parchment.

For a moment I stared at the words in confusion. The message within making absolutely no sense to me at all so I simply set the paper down on the desk. Glancing back down at the paper again, I shook my head back and forth.

“Agreement? What agreement? What duties?” I muttered under my breath while glaring at the paper in annoyance.

Before I could do anything else other than lean back in my chair with a huff, the paper was snatched out from before me. Snapping my head around to Lucius as he dangled the parchment before tauntingly, I then flipped him a bird and sent him a scowl. All to quickly though he straightened up and a frown formed on his face. When he lifted his gaze to me he was a little perturbed.

“You can read this?” He questioned as he waved the parchment in front of my face.

“Of course I can,” I retorted with a frown. “I’m not illiterate.”

Lucius looked between me and the paper several times with a look of utter confusion.

“Can you understand me?”

As he stared at me waiting for my answer, I looked at that man like he had been hit around the head too many times. It was entirely plausible.

“Yes I can Luce,” my voice was slightly raised as I jumped up from the chair and moved to stand in front of him. “What has gotten into you? Do you need to go and rest or something? Are you sick? Does the devil even get sick?”

Whilst I continued to ramble, my hand moved on its own to his forehead. Brushing away his hair to check his temperature, I frowned when I realised that I wasn’t sure if he was supposed to have the same body temperature as humans or whether he ran hotter or colder. Lucius brushed my hand away and instead waved the paper around like it was the answer to everything.

“You can read this? Don’t you realise how strange and important this is? And you could understand me talking in a dialect that you shouldn’t be able to even begin to comprehend.” He handed me back the paper before manoeuvring into the seat that I had just vacated.  “How is it that you can understand the angelic language both written and spoken?” He tilted his head to the side and stared at me – like really stared. It was like he could see into my very soul and knowing him it was probably within his capabilities.