Hell's Angels [14] unedited

Chapter 14

When Danny, Hades and I reached topside we were met by a torrential downpour to match my less than optimistic mood. We stepped out of the crypt and almost instantly our clothes were clinging to our bodies in a way that left nothing to the imagination. I hugged Danny to my body in an attempt to protect him from the elements as I splashed through the waterlogged grass towards the nun with angel wings.

The nun in question was dangling my car keys from her forefinger as she stood before the front door of the church. Droplets of water beat against my skin in a relentless icy wave of water as I rushed to join her in the dry alcove. I offered the angel a smile as I accepted the keys from the woman’s outstretched hand but soon turned my attention away when I felt her gaze penetrating deep within me. It brought to the surface all of the emotions that I was afraid to face and I had to shy away before I could be consumed with my nightmares once more.

“Thanks for looking after the car,” I spoke awkwardly as the heavy patter of rain beat down upon the roof of the alcove like hooves stampeding over our heads. “I hope there wasn’t any trouble.”

The angel merely bore her gaze into the side of my face, an unrelenting stare that continued to burn into me long after she looked away.

“No trouble.” The woman finally responded before she inhaled deeply and let out a sigh. “Your friends are here. And I was told to remind you of your job. I don’t need to remind you how essential it is?”

The angel didn’t wait for a response; she merely turned on her heel and disappeared into the shadowy interior of the church. I frowned at the blackness left in her wake before shrugging and looking out into the courtyard for any sign of my friends. As I peered through the sheets of water pelting down before me, I vaguely noticed that Hades was no longer with us but soon batted the thought away as the ground vibrated underneath my shoes. All too soon, I was filled with the persistent feeling that I was no longer alone.

Spinning on my heels, I turned to face the two figures that had sprung up from nowhere. Smiling I waved at the pair and beckoned them over to the shelter but they only walked slowly with their arms stretched out to their sides and their faces tilted to the skies. Pure revelry was the only way to describe the looks upon their strangely hued faces. Calantha and her best friend were embodiments of the earth – living, breathing and talking embodiments that in all their strange leafiness were incredibly beautiful.

“Hi Calantha,” I called out waving my arms to drag the woman’s steadfast attention from the grumbling grey skies overhead.

“Holmes! And little Danny too.” Calantha called out jovially when she was almost toe to toe with the sodden pair. She had barely stilled before her arms were outstretched to the waiting toddler.

Danny leapt from my arms and into the waiting vines which held him dotingly as the young boy chattered on about everything and anything.  The two of them had formed a strange bond when Lucius and I had to run off and save the world the previous year. It made me feel rather strange because even after all this time, which in toddler years is a life time, the pair of them was inseparable. Yet, I couldn’t help but feel that I had changed somewhat and though I loved him more than anything in the world, the amount of times I had been apart from him had created – a distance between us.

I shook my head to remove the melancholy thoughts. I then leaned forwards to hug Calantha’s best friend who had taken great pains to show me their fashion once upon a time but ultimately failed to leave any lasting impression upon my wardrobe. A smile was firmly on my lips as we pulled away and regarded the pair with fondness.

“Are you both sure it won’t be too much trouble to take care of Danny?” I questioned as I brushed my fingers over my son’s hair to try and flatten down the sodden mess of dark hair before giving up when it just stuck back up once more.