Coincidence with the strange guy

The dawn of a new day is something that we all look for always the next day. Sure, for different reasons yet it is something we are all waiting for, having the hope of it. 

The dawn of a new day for me is for the sun to shine bright. Yes, staying up all night, doing stuff that is crazy to do at night is fun somehow but God created the day for us to wake up and the night to sleep which is something I am not familiar with. 

Although, today seemed to be different from any other day. Not sure why but my adrenaline hormone was working its way through my body. And God it feels crazy and amazing. 

I would say it's the makeup I wore today or the dress. It's hard to choose. Using concealer for the darkness around my eyes, gold eyeshadow on the eyelids, a brow pencil for the eyebrows moulding it into perfection or at least better than the other days, a mascara, red lipstick on the lips and a light pink blush on the centre of my cheeks. Wouldn't say it's much of makeup but simply a wear up. 

Now, choosing the dress is easy. Because the dress is not a simple cloth. A black with white dot, knee-length off shoulder bodycon dress that matches my room paints is special. Special because the room was painted after it. My hair was curled loosely tucked behind my ear. 

Actually, I was this happy because Aidan's sister, Ana, is getting married today. Ace and Ana had been dating for almost a year and a half. They got engaged before the death of Aidan. His leaving was an earthquake for his family, the industry and me. 

Now, three months later, not only did I have to attend the wedding of Aidan's sister, but I had to be in it. It was difficult because I haven't talked to them for a year and now it's going to be awkward. When I received her call today morning, I was smiling sheepishly. 

And the problem was, I couldn’t just show up for a couple of hours and pretend to smile. We would be spending three days on a private island that Ace had rented out for the wedding. He had wanted something intimate where he didn’t feel like he had to invite every member of the family. So he had found this island near the Florida Keys that could be rented for weddings and other special events. Only close family and friends had been invited, all expenses paid. 

Then there was the fact that everyone close to Aidan was also at the wedding party. I had to be around them in a social setting in front of my friends for four long days. Although I was happy for Ace and Ana, being around them wasn’t going to be easy. 

I stood at the private airport. Ace Finlay had offered a private jet to take the wedding guest to the island. Ana had sent plane tickets to the rest of the guests. Ugh, this is going to kill me. 

Ana was standing at the bottom of the stairs leading up to the plane, talking happily to Bethy. These were my friends and I loved them. Being with them should not be hard. Taking a deep breath, I reached for the handle of my rolling suitcase and headed for the plane. Ana's gaze moved to me, and her smile grew. She was so happy and I was embarrassed. 

“We’re all here now,” Ana said, and stepped forward to hug me. 

“I’m so glad you’re coming. Thank you,” she whispered in my ear as she held me firmly before letting go. 

“I wouldn’t miss this for the world,” I told her. 

“I’ll take that, miss,” a man said, holding out his hand for my suitcase. I handed my luggage over to the crew and then looked at Bethy. 

“Hey, you,” she said, smiling. I like Bethy; Once I had been like Bethy. Strong, confident, independent. But like everything else, Aidan took it with him. 

“You good?” she asked, studying my face. Only Bethy had the balls to ask me if I was OK. Everyone else had stopped asking, afraid of my reaction. I wanted to tell her that the numbness was gone. But it had been replaced by the feelings I’d been holding back. I had to deal with it all. 

But not now, this was Ana and Ace's special weekend. I wouldn’t ruin it with my sadness. “I’m doing great!" 

“All right, ladies, move the gossip inside. It’s time we head south,” Ace said as he stood at the top of the stairs. His eyes were locked on Ana. I had known Ace since I was a waitress in the coffee house. He used to flirt with me every morning before he went to work and that's before I met Aidan and he met Ana. Watching him with Ana never ceased to amaze me. He hadn’t been the settling-down type. But Ana was his world. 

“Coming right up,” Ana replied. I didn’t scan the inside of the jet as it was filled with friends and family of Ace and Ana. Some of them know me and some have heard about me. I walked between them bobbing my head and smiling at them. Some of them called my name and greeted me and some didn't even recognise me. What have you done to me, Aidan? 

I walked to the back room knowing that no one would be there. I need this silence and peace. I sat on one of the leather sofas that lined the inside of the plane. I listened as the guests discussed their children and told stories about their daily lives as moms, making me feel desperate. It's not that I am jealous because I loved them and their families. For almost two years, I had missed so much, closing myself off from emotion. I was tired of that. 

The pilot came over the speaker and told everyone to prepare for takeoff. I leaned back in my seat and buckled my seat belt. I rested my head against the back of the seat and closed my eyes. Minutes passed by with the relaxation that took all over my body and brain. 

Until I felt a breath of someone close to my cheeks that rushed to my heart, letting it skip a beat. I opened my eyes rapidly and met his eyes. My eyebrows creased as I stared at him. Strange guy!?! What the hell is he doing here? 

"What are you doing here?" I asked, pushing him away from me. He chuckled, taking the seat on the sofa across from me. I wanted to knock his pretty-boy teeth down his throat and kiss his dimples at the same time. 

"The groom's best man and you?" He replied. Oh, no!  When Ana told me that Ace's best man would be my escort to the wedding, I didn't know it was him. 

"Let's say this is a coincidence and I am the bride maid," I answer. 

"Oh, so I am going to escort you. This is more comfortable." He mutters. You wish! 

I closed my eyes and tried to get my relaxation back but who am I kidding. Now my mind, my thoughts are full of him. Like they controlled everything in me. I didn't need to see him, I felt his eyes as soon as I closed my eyes. It's like he could see into my soul. Why him out of all the men in the world? The pressure of his gaze made things difficult. And unbearably uncomfortable. I didn’t want to feel anything where he was concerned. 

I opened my eyes as I demanded, "take your eyes off me!" 

He giggled showing me his dimples again and it was beautiful. God, with this guy! 

He closed his eyes and said, "Your wish is my command" 

He looked so peaceful and handsome. He didn't look like the guy that was broke from losing his girlfriend. Now, I was staring at him. God, what's happening to me? 

A smile creased his face informing me he knew I was staring at him. I shut my eyes immediately. Oh, God!!