Third envelope

I picked this bulky book and tossed it over the desk as it tumbled to the floor. All parts of my body itched. The means of irritation ran through my blood, evoking a wave of fierce, deep-seated anger in me. I scratched the back of my hand as I finally gave up and sat down on the chair. 

The hell, where did she put the second envelope? 

I rubbed my temple and racked my brain to search for a place I hadn’t yet looked for. It had been two hours since I had been looking for it. But nothing, not even something close to it. 

The door opened, and my skin went pale as my eyes widened, and I jolted up from my seat. Aaron stood at his place and watched every move I made with a frown developing on his face. I started collecting all the papers on the desk as sweat ran down my back. 

What have I gotten myself into? 

He walked towards me, and the louder his footsteps echoed, the harder my heart beat, the shock jolting through my entire body. And with each click of his shoe’s sole, I heard a voice in the back of my head. This is how things end! God, I didn’t have a chance to live the bet! 

Once he was near me, I automatically straightened up and met his eyes with the papers and files and whatnot tucked safely in my hands. 

I cleared my throat. “How can I help you?”  

His eyebrows arched upward as he spoke a little louder than normal. “What the fuck are you doing in Mia’s office?” 

I put the stuff down that I was holding and went near him. My hands rested on each of his shoulders. I sensed a bit of aggression, though that was not what I was observing. His hair was messed up, the tie was undone, the shirt was out of the trousers, and his face seemed like someone had sucked his soul out. He was drained! “Nothing, I was just…” Say something! “... cleaning the place,” I said before I changed the subject. “What about you? You look exhausted. Is everything fine?” 

“Important work files are lost.  No one knows who took them. We are in search of them, but there isn’t a trace to be found.” He sighed as his fingers went through his hair. 

I cupped his cheeks as I rubbed the skin under his eyes, around his nose, soothing him. “You will find them. Don’t worry. Now, take a shower. I will get the dinner ready.”

He hugged me while he whispered, “I am missing you.” 

I closed my eyes. The sensation of his warm breath was like a rising heat inside my body. And that heat slowly vibrated in me, causing the hair around my neck to rise. God!

I pulled away before things could get out of hand and walked towards the kitchen. The door closed behind me, and his footsteps followed me out. 

******************************

I picked the tray and took the stairs to his room. The trouble of knocking wasn't there as the door was open. He was sitting on the bed, wearing white pyjamas, his hair damp. I put the tray on the bed beside him and sat down. I dug the fork into the pasta and rolled it until I was satisfied, and brought the fork to his mouth. 

Once he was done chewing, he said, “So you’re not mad at me anymore?” 

I stared at him for a moment as I rolled the pasta. All my brain could think about was the second letter. I yearned to ask him about the same. My hand leaned close to his mouth with the fork of the pasta. “ Nope, nothing has changed.” 

His head tilted to the right a little as he held my wrist with caution, concern creeping up his face. “Sia, you know how much I want you in my life, right?”