18. Secret Passages

Kian's dad, who happened to be called Magnus, had been the only one who hadn't balked at my question. I could understand that I was a total stranger. An unknown threat. Unfortunately, Jace and Ace were the only familiar faces among the other shifters. Their response to me only generated suspicion among the Pack members.

"Let's start with the obvious." Alpha Bennett spoke since no one was willing to reply to my earlier question.

The man was tall, and he wore his dominance like second skin. It was obvious the man was used to having all the attention.

"Mila, how could you lead her here?" He asked the girl.

The Rogue girl winced, hiding her flushed cheeks. "I didn't think she would follow me. I took one of the most difficult entries into the caverns. She shouldn't have made it in."

I now could understand why I had thought she was a boy. She had a naturally raspy voice she had cleverly used to make it sound like she had a deeper voice but now her voice was only slightly husky but lighter with feminine undertones.

"She's an Elite Syndicate Enforcer." Someone pointed out.

It sounded like an accusation.

It was clear their views of the Shadow Hunters were tainted. It was weird considering there were five members from their Pack who had taken on the training to become an Elite Syndicate Enforcer, with two only succeeding. It may have been bitterness that blackened their perspectives. Jace and Ace hadn't made it, therefore, it wouldn't have surprised me if their Pack found it an injustice on their behalf.

Packs usually spoke of the Shadow Hunters with reverence or fear, not outright disrespect.

I felt eyes from all directions in the cave rest on the golden insignia woven into my uniform. It was the first time I felt the influence of the title. I usually forgot that I was part of the Elite Syndicate.

"And how did she spot you in the first place?" Alpha Bennett asked.

Mila dipped her head in embarrassment. "She caught me."

"Stealing." I added. "You tried to steal from my friends."

Curses echoed from the small crowd.

"You were supposed to be careful Mila." Magnus silenced the growing invectives bursting from the group of people. "We couldn't be found out too soon or by the wrong people." He gently chided.

"I'm sorry. I was hungry." She didn't look up as she fiddled with her blade.

I noted that they all looked as if they missed more than a few meals, but they were safe despite the misery and fatigue surrounding them like a clingy shadow.

"We can't trust her Alpha." Jace piped up, "She poses a risk to us. As soon as she leaves our sight, she'll be yapping to her Alpha."

"Quiet son."

He obeyed, albeit reluctantly since I could feel his glare burning holes into my profile. I ignored the heat of his narrowed gaze and glanced around the caverns and hollow passages. Although the place was dim, the little cracks in the ceiling gave way for enough light to seep in.

They had transformed the place into their temporary abode. There were thin blankets sprawled in different corners and wooden crates that held what looked to be like food supplies, although there seemed to be half empty.

Some of the kids had taken some of their toys. My attention snagged on the gaggle of children hiding behind the adults. They peeked over their thighs, watching me with mixed emotions ranging from caution to awe.