44. The Woman In His Dreams

"What's going on?" Kian approached me.

"We just came back from the Mountains."

Kian didn't immediately jump into questions. Rather, he nodded. I noted that my friend looked as if he hadn't slept in a week.

"We had an elixir that was supposed to reverse the effects of the poison from the poisoned wolves. Jamison was targeted but for some reason, after he took the elixir, he fainted."

"Shit." Kian took a seat beside me, "Where's that mate of yours?"

"He's still reporting to the Alpha."

As soon as I sped back into the Pack, Alexei took Jamison to the Healer's place. I followed but there were too many people at the Healer's place, I felt like I was in the way. I had taken one glance of Jamison splayed, before people shoved into the cottage.

I found a quiet corner in the Pack house, waiting for Aella who had been tied up with Jamison's current condition.

I'd been in the midst of praying to the Moon Goddess when I heard Kian's distinctive lazy stride.

"Need a hug?"

Before I could reply, his arms circled over my shoulders, bringing my cheek against his collarbone. "You don't need to give me a hug but thank you." I squeezed his frame before releasing him.

"You do realise I would only offer something like this to you or Aella. If anyone else asked for one, I would've told them to politely 'fuck off' and not insult me again."

"I know, hence my gratitude." I smiled, feeling my spirits lift.

Kian smiled.

"How are you really feeling Kian?" I asked my friend, hoping I wasn't stepping on minefields.

Kian sighed, fidgeting with the leather bands on his wrist. "I'm doing better. Promise. I've just been feeling sorry for myself. I feel as if I just failed everyone, losing the duel with Jace."

"No one is blaming you for anything Kian. No one." I held his hand, squeezing. "You're one of the best Enforcers I know. So what if you lost this duel. That doesn't speak of your competence as an Elite Enforcer. Everyone has stumbling blocks."

Kian studied my expression with a small, curious smile. "Since when did you become so wise Pen? I'm used to you making corny jokes and being inappropriate."

"Corny jokes? Never in my life have I been so offended Kian Montgomery." I pressed a hand against my chest for drama's sake.

Kian sighed, "I'm over the phase of feeling sorry myself. I've just been more focused on improving my combat skills. It's been keeping me distracted. Dad has been taking care of me, force feeding me and all. Old man won't leave me alone these days."

"That's good." I grinned.

Kian's gaze shifted somewhere over my shoulder. I followed his gaze, finding Alexei leaning against the doorframe.

"This is my cue to leave." Kian stood up but not without giving my hand a swift squeeze.

I watched as Kian walked over to Alexei, smirking.

"Do I get a hug too?" Alexei raised a brow with jest.

"I'm afraid you'd like it too much." Kian flashed his teeth before taking leave.

When the Enforcer was gone, Alexei took the spot Kian had left empty. Without missing a beat, he grabbed my waist, lifting me effortlessly until I was straddling his waist and the crown of my head fitted neatly beneath his firm chin.