39. Connect Two

"We're at the healers."

"Yip."

"Are you hurt? Solnishko-" His voice was a warning, I could see the tension gather at his jaw.

"I'm perfectly fine, physically at least." I corrected him before he could start firing unnecessary questions.

His dark brows furrowed. "Then what are we doing here?"

I stared at the curvy path leading towards the light orange cottage obscured partially by the pine trees surrounding it. I could just barely make out a small, triangular window and burnished door.

"I'm here for my wolf." I confessed.

I could tell that I had shocked him.

He needed to know that I trusted him like no other. I wouldn't have invited him otherwise. Alexei seemed to understand when he searched my gaze once more. I wasn't trying to be coy. I wanted him to know that I trusted him wholeheartedly. I didn't know when the trust had formed and solidified but it had. I wanted Alexei to know that he had an effect on me that I couldn't even fully comprehend.

He glanced back the at the cottage, then looked at me with a furrow in his brow. "Are you sure?"

I shrugged, moving towards the cute door.

I heard Alexei's steps close behind.

There were only three little steps that lead up to the door. Alexei took one long step, missing the two lower ones. I took my sweet time using all three steps to get to the top.

"Just so you know, if you are in doubt, I trust you too. More than you know." He said, watching me under his thick lashes.

I blinked up at him, surprised.

He found my response amusing, to the point, he reached out and pinched my cheek. "Cute."

Instead of retorting something intelligible, I grunted. Like a fucking cave man. I needed to work on my communication skills. Clearly.

Alexei chuckled.

I was flustered, so I rapped on the door impatiently.

Alexei muttered 'cute' again. My eye twitched as I knocked three more times, flustered.

Several beats of seconds went by before the door groaned, opening.

The woman was young, but her cheeky grin caught me by surprise. She looked at both Alexei and I before she opened her door wider, motioning inside. "Welcome. Come in."

"I haven't seen you in a long time." The woman directed her gaze to Alexei.

"Haven't needed anything healed that my wolf couldn't speed up the process for."

"Then, that is alright. However, I want to know who this is with the fabulous pink highlights."

"McKenna, meet Pen. My mate." Alexei introduced us.

McKenna's russet eyes widened with welcome surprise. "I thought that was what I scented when I opened the door. When did this happen?" She approached me, taking my hands gently. She held mine between her soft hands, I briefly wondered what hand cream she used. I never felt hands as delicate and soft as hers. Mine felt like rocks between hers. I never cared much for my hands, but I didn't mind that they were rough with calluses. They were mine, honed from hard work.

"It is nice to meet you McKenna."

"Likewise. What do you two need that I can help with?" She asked brightly, not releasing my hands just yet. She held onto them, obliterating my nerves.