35. The Vasilievs

Dinner was an interesting event with the Vasiliev siblings. Tatiana suggested an early dinner, considering the duels would recommence tonight. I had tried to get a hold of both Aella and Kian, but both were busy. I assumed they were preparing for tonight's duels. I was nervous for both of my friends; I hadn't been able to think about much else.

I knew that my friends were more than capable of keeping up a good duel. They were good. Ace and Jace would be no match for them.

Returning to the present, I watched as Alexei sprinkled salt into the boiling water on the stove top. Although Alexei commanded the kitchen, Sascha was most definitely his sous-chef. She hung around him, obeying each instruction with enthusiasm. I noted Sascha had the ability to make Alexei smile a lot. There was a certain way he held himself around the youngest Vasiliev. When Alexei asked if she could bring the butter from the fridge, Sascha skipped to it, took out the item and handed it over to Alexei. Alexei in return, gave her hair an affectionate ruffle and side hug. Sascha accepted the touch naturally, leaning into his side as she avidly observed her big brother slice up a slab of beef into small strips.

It was evident that Alexei took on a fatherly role with Sascha.

Tonight's menu was beef stroganoff, which Sascha had requested as it was her favourite.

"Hey, can I talk to you?" Tatiana had quietly slunk her way to me. She had swapped out her violet outfit and settled with a pair of loose joggers and a simple white tee.

I turned to her, slightly panicked, although I didn't manifest the expression on my face.

I had no reason to be intimidated by her, but it was inevitable. She appeared to be the most closed off Vasiliev in the room.

"Sure." I nodded, despite the sudden need to stay close to Alexei and Sascha.

"Kotya, I'm just going to go outside and catch up with Pen." Tatiana informed her siblings.

Alexei and Sascha glanced up. Alexei caught my gaze, searching. I knew he was trying to figure out whether I was comfortable with being alone with Tatiana. I offered a small smile. There was no way I was going to tell him that having a chat with his sister was scary business.

"I'm here if any of you need anything." Alexei responded after a few, protracted seconds.

"Of course. We'll be quick." Tatiana flashed a grin, taking my hand.

She led us to the front door and down the stairs, on to the grass where we had a perfect view of the sky. "I'll never get tired of a view like this." I told Tatiana when she made no move to speak.

"It's beautiful. No wonder my brother loves it here." She whispered.

We watched the endless sky for long minutes until I felt Tatian's gaze on the side of my face. I peeled my eyes from the sky, acknowledging her stare.

There was an indecipherable expression on her face as she studied me. I kept still, wondering what thoughts were running through her mind.

"Do I make you uncomfortable?" She asked.

I blinked. I hadn't expected her to ask such a question. "Not necessarily. I think what makes me uncomfortable is that I want to make a good impression, but I don't want to come off to you as 'fake' or trying too hard to impress you. I feel like I should make a good impression because you're Alexei's sister. You're someone important to him. I want you to like me, but I can't force it. So, the situation makes me a little uncomfortable, but you don't."

Her lip curled a little as she nodded.

I waited for her to respond.

She peered up at the sky again, thinking. "Do you know that my babushka is an Oracle?"