21. Pot, Meet Freaking Kettle

Jude and Kian arrived just before midnight.

By the time Alexei and I returned, Jamison was stuffing his mouth with a sandwich he refused to share with me. The door opened an hour later. Jude soundlessly slipped inside, smiling when he spotted his mate running towards him with a shriek of his name spilling from her lips. Aella was immediately drawn up in his arms, whisking him away to a chosen corner of the room as they spoke in hushed whispers.

Tatum and Allison popped up behind him, peering into the cabin warily. Jamison hastily consumed the remnants of his food before greeting the couple.

Kian was the last to enter. His hair was mussed upon arrival. As soon as he stepped over the threshold, his gaze scanned the small room with displeasure.

"Kian!" I greeted him with a grin.

He scowled. "This is where you've been? It smells weird. Like grass and..." Sniff. "...Your scent is off." He took one step closer, pinching the neck of my shirt and inhaling deeply. I pulled back, holding my palms out. I was very aware of Alexei who had his eyes on us from the moment I approached Kian. I tried to discreetly take a whiff of the scent he caught but Alexei was suddenly at my side. His hand slid along my waist, digging into my hip. I was surprised that he hadn't grabbed my ass since he seemed addicted to it. "Hello Kian." Alexei greeted him amicably, his expression genuinely warm at the sight of my friend.

Kian merely narrowed his gaze but shook Alexei's hand. "Hey." His gaze darted between us. I knew the moment he recognised why my scent was off. His eyes widened as he drank us in, particularly Alexei's hand on my hip. "I see."

Alexei's scent was more prominent on me now that more time had passed.

"Well, this was unexpected." Kian tapped his chin, "I'm intrigued. Tell me, who caught who first?"

"What kind of question is that?" I huffed, "Alexei, don't answer."

I knew the direct route where Kian's mind was going. There was a glint of wicked humour hiding in his orbs. "Why so nervous Pen? I'm not going to say anything to him that may potentially embarrass you." He innocently claimed.

I called fucking bullshit.

Oh, he was going to get it. Now I definitely knew that brain of his was flicking through embarrassing stories to expose. I could practically imagine him running a teasing finger along his memory files, searching for the best incident to retell Alexei. He had his arsenal full of the questionable things I've done. My only defence was that I had very bad friends who made things sound like they were good choices at the time said action was done. I had to figure out a way where I could bribe Kian to keep his trap shut.

"So, what is this I hear about a mountain lion?" Tatum's voice rose in the air, stilling conversation.

Hallelujah!

I thanked the assassin for unknowingly coming to my aid.

We gathered to the centre of the lounge, taking up the seats. Tatum and Allison remained standing.

"Well, let's start off with the tracking chip you put into the changeling that infiltrated the Pack during the Full Moon." Jude started.

"We tracked down the changeling, but it was literally gnawed to the bone by a mountain lion. The chip survived since we can still see it moving on Pen's app she has on her device." Jamison responded. He showed the Alpha the app with the blinking red dot moving along the map. "As we know, the changelings are poisonous. The fact that the mountain lion is still alive after eating it, is what's baffling."