Chapter 2

Hudayfah looked up at the sound of Jenna’s voice, relieved that she had finally come out of the bathroom. Though she had the water running, he had heard her crying and it made his heart hurt for her. This was a big step for both of them, and he knew it was especially hard for her. Yes, he hadn’t wanted to marry her, and yes, even though she couldn’t see it yet, he had been forced into this as well. But he had come to terms with it. They were going to be together, and hopefully, they would start a relationship and a family. He could only wish that somewhere along the way, affection and love would grow between them. He knew that she didn’t think highly of him, which is why he had tried to reassure her, ease her mind that she wouldn’t have to do anything tonight. He knew it was more important to have a connection with her where she trusted him and felt comfortable with him, than just demanding his rights as a husband. He didn’t want their first time to be something that was forced upon her, something that she looked back on with fear instead of pleasure. He would never want her to be afraid of him.

“Yes?” he asked turning to her with a welcoming smile.

“I need help unzipping my dress.” She whispered looking so scared that it made him want to cry.

“Uh yeah. Yeah of course.” He said walking towards her. She wouldn’t meet his gaze, but turned around, lifting her scarf away so he could see the zipper. He walked forward, and gripped it, pulling it down, before gently placing his hands on her hips, and turning her around the face him. When she looked up at him, he instantly regretting his decision that he had touched her. Written across her face was pure terror, and he quickly removed his hands, taking a step back. “You’re all set.”

“Thank you.” She whispered before going back to the bathroom, and closing the door behind her. About fifteen minutes later, he had changed into his pajamas, and had just finished hanging up his suit in the closet, when he heard the bathroom door open. He turned around, and felt all of his breath leave him. This was the first time he was seeing her uncovered, and he was stunned. She was so incredibly beautiful. In all the times he had imagined what she looked like, and yes he would admit to it, he had not even come close to this.

“Wow. Jenna. I…I can’t even tell you how incredibly beautiful you are. There are no words.” he said, and she blushed. She had long black hair flowing down her back and held in place by a white headband. She had three earrings in each ear, two studs and a dangling heart, and she was wearing a long lacey white nightgown. Though she appeared calmer, her brown eyes still were sparked with fear.

“Thank you.” She said quietly, and as she shifted a bit uncomfortably, he winced, wishing with all of his might that he could help her relax. He wasn’t a bad guy, they just had gotten off on the wrong start. They stood in silence for a few minutes and he didn’t know what to do next. His brother had totally different advice for how this night would go, and while it had been incredibly awkward having a conversation like that with him, nothing was going as he had said. She hadn’t even let him hug her yet let alone kiss her. The most he had done was hold her hand momentarily when she was descending from the car, and even then she had yanked her hand away the second she had found her footing.  

“Do you want to sit down?” he asked eventually, and she nodded before glancing at the bed in utter horror. He hurried to sit down on the sofa, and she gave him a grateful look before sitting next to him, further than what he would have liked for his wife, but at least she was there.

“So?” he asked.

“So?” she said and he smiled.

“What are you thinking right now?” he asked, and her eyes widened at such a question.

“Nothing really.” She said quietly, and he cringed internally. He knew very well that she was thinking some things, they probably just weren’t polite enough to say out loud.

“Well I am thinking that I can hardly believe that I’m sitting here with you, and I can hardly believe how breathtakingly beautiful you are. I can hardly believe my good fortune in being able to call you my wife.” he said meaning every single word, and she stared at him with such a sad expression, that it caused his heart to hurt. 

“Please don’t do this. Its already bad enough that we had to deceive not only my mother but everyone we know. Don’t lie to me.”

He blew out a breath from between his lips, trying to hide his annoyance.

“I wasn’t lying Jenna. I really meant all of it.”

“Yeah okay. I know it is all for show, believe me I am under no mistaken notions that you really care for me.”

He stood up abruptly from his seat watching her face for any indication of how to react, but when she just turned to look at him blankly, he gave a sigh and turned away.

“We should get some rest. Our flight leaves early tomorrow.” he said in a clipped tone, and after a few seconds she nodded standing up as well. They both moved towards the bed, but came to a halt, standing awkwardly.

“I’ll sleep on the couch.” He said after a few moments nodding in the direction of the small loveseat in the corner, and while at first she seemed ready to agree, as her eyes landed on the piece of furniture that would by no means comfortably hold his six foot two frame, she motioned uneasily towards the large California king sized bed.

“It’s a very big bed, I am sure we can both fit without,” she hesitated as if she was trying to find the appropriate word, “touching.”

“Yeah okay.” He said grumpily, kind of annoyed that she was so repulsed by him. Her words had hurt more than he would ever admit. He had been sincerely trying to offer her a compliment, and he really did think she looked beautiful, and she had stomped all over it, calling him a liar. He was trying, but if she wanted to play like that, fine. There was a reason he had kept his heart locked up for so long, and he wasn’t about to let it get broken by someone who couldn’t care any less for him.

“Do you have a side you prefer?” she asked after another few seconds of silence, and he gave a slight smile.

“I never thought of it honestly. Do you?”

“Well I do prefer the right side.” She said with a shy smile, and he was startled to realize it was the first time he had seen her smile since their engagement. What a sad thing!

“Okay then ill take the left side.”

As they climbed into bed, any affection he had felt from her smile instantly faded away as she grabbed a few of the pillows and placed them between where the two of them lay. He watched her for a few seconds, but she avoided his gaze, turning her back to him, and pulling the blanket up to her neck. He gave a sigh, and reached over to turn off the light.

They had a long way to go.