Chapter 22

Salaam everyone. Sorry if there are any mistakes, I wasnt feeling well enough to edit that closely. :/ Stay awesome! 

Rana stood over the sink washing the endless mountain of dishes. The guys had come over for dinner, and earlier in the day Jenna had started to vomit, and cough and sneeze. Rana had given her vitamin C and a pitcher of water, and instructed her to just rest, not really able to do anything else for a virus, so she didn’t want her sister to have to worry about cleaning up. For some reason, Jenna refused to use the cleaning ladies and did everything herself.

She had just put the last of the dishes in the dish washer, and was drying her hands, when Rami walked into the room. They both froze, staring at each other. They hadn’t really talked since the day he had gotten shot. The day where they had both practically confessed their feelings for one another. She hadn’t been because Rana was not the type to shy away from confrontation, but Rami had been avoiding her most faithfully.

“I was just getting the ice cream for dessert.” He said a bit awkwardly, as he moved towards the freezer, and she nodded.

“Do you want me to get you bowls and spoons?”

“If it’s not too much trouble. I’ll wash them myself, don’t worry.” He hurried to add, and he watched as she began to put a pile of silverware on a tray.

“How is your arm feeling?” she asked as she counted out twelve bowls, and he shrugged.

“It’s better Alhamdulillah. I don’t feel so rotten anymore, and I’m able to lift things now.”

“Good Alhamdulilah.” She said and as she extended out the tray, he took it from her, and a silence fell over them for a few seconds before he started walking towards the doorway.

“JazakillahuKhairan Rana.”

“Since when are we so formal with each other?” she called after him, and he came to a halt.

“What do you mean?” he asked not turning to look at her, and she leaned against the counter, staring at the back of his head until he turned around, avoiding her gaze.

“You know before you would have insulted me somehow, then I would have made fun of you, and we would have no trouble saying what we were thinking. We’ve been doing it all our lives. Now all of a sudden it’s like we have to walk on glass. It’s like we can’t be who we are.”

He turned his eyes up to hers.

“What are you saying?”

“Things have changed between us Rami, and you can’t deny it. The only thing we have to think of now,” she shrugged her shoulders, “is are we going to do something about it?”

He shifted uncomfortably.

“Like get married?”

“Well that would generally be the idea Rami.”

“So I’m the one who has to make the first move?”

She raised an eyebrow in amusement.

“That’s usually how it goes. Unless you don’t want to be the man in the relationship.” She teased.

“Don’t mock me, you know I’m not good at this stuff Rana.” He scowled, and it fell quiet around them before she crossed her arms over her chest.

“So are we getting married or not?”

He laughed and shook his head.

“Is that you proposing?”

“Oh no you’re going to propose.” She warned, and he laughed again.

“Fine. What do I do?” he took a step forward. “What kind of proposal does Rana Sulayman want?”