Chapter 23

Jenna lay next to Hudayfah, wondering if she should disturb him or not. The whole thing with Jafar had been bothering her more than she wanted to admit, and she knew that she had to tell him. She could be putting everyone in danger, especially Muhsin who, much to her annoyance, was back in the house.

"Hudayfah?"

"Yes?"

"Are you asleep?"

He chuckled softly, and turned over so he was facing her.

"No. What's up darling?"

She shifted so she was looking in his direction as well, and he took her hands in his.

"I have to tell you something. But I don't want you to be mad at me." She whispered, and he tightened his hold.

"Darling, I would never be mad at you." He said softly. "Don't ever be scared to tell me something. Okay?"

She nodded even though she knew he couldn't see her, and she swallowed nervously.

"I think I know who the traitor is."

He bolted up into a seated position, and immediately reached over to turn on the lamp before turning to look at her in shock.

"What!? How?! Were you hurt?! Are you okay!? Why do you think you know who it is!?"

She closed her eyes briefly against the light, before sitting up as well, wringing her hands nervously.

"I'm okay, nothing happened to me."

Relief crossed his features.

"You scared me." He skimmed a hand up her arm. "Okay well who do you think it is?" he asked, and though his face held a mask of concern, she detected a hint of humor in his tone. As if he thought it was cute that she had an idea of who it could be.

"Are you making fun of me?" she asked and he quickly shook his head.

"Of course not!" he exclaimed. "I'm just curious as to who you think it is."

She stared at him for a few seconds before turning away.

"Jafar."

There was a profound silence throughout the room, and once it had gone on for a couple of minutes, she turned to look at him, to find him watching her with a horrified expression on his face.

"Jafar?! You're accusing my own cousin?!" he demanded after a few moments and she shifted uncomfortably.

"Yes."

He folded his arms across his chest, anger flashing in his eyes.

"Why is that?"

"I've seen him in places he shouldn't be, and doing weird things."

"Like?"

"Well for example the day you found me in the laundry room. I was hiding because he had been outside Omar's room doing some odd stuff!" she exclaimed, and his face softened.

"Well thank you for telling me." He said, and he went to kiss her hand, when she pulled it roughly away.

"You don't believe me do you?!" she demanded, and he sighed, raking a hand through his hair.

"Darling, it's not that I don't believe you. It's just that you were really sick that day. You could have seen something that wasn't there."

"Now you are saying I am hallucinating!? I'm telling you, I know what I saw, and you don't believe me!"

"Jenna, Jafar is my cousin. My own flesh and blood, he wouldn't betray me!"

"And why not!? Just because he is related to you means he couldn't be a bad person!? Look at Abu Lahab! One of the worst men ever to live and he was Rasul Allah's Uncle!"