Chapter 8

Hudayfah lay awake on the couch staring up at the ceiling of the sitting room, wondering if Jenna was going to wake up crying soon. She had had a nightmare at this time of night ever since they had gotten married, and he was debating if he would go to her if she did. He was still so angry at her. Why was she pushing him away like this!? Yes he understood she hadn’t wanted to marry him. But he wasn’t a monster. He wasn’t being mean to her or forcing himself on her. He wasn’t keeping her from her family, he was giving her everything, including a lavish honeymoon, and he would never deny her a single thing if she were to ask. It was starting to physically hurt to be around her, especially when she pulled away from his touch as if she was disgusted by him. Though they hadn’t started out in the most traditional of senses, love and affection could grow between them if they both made an effort. But what hurt the most was that she didn’t want to give him a chance, and it was painfully obvious.

A few minutes later, he heard her gasp before she burst into sobs, and he hesitated for a few seconds before sighing and getting up. The scary visions were obviously rooted in some severe trauma from her past, and she needed comfort to help her through it, and he was the only one there. As he entered their room, he felt his heart constrict. She was already quite petite, but looked even smaller curled up in the middle of the giant bed.

“Jenna?” he asked softly, and she turned to look at him, her whole body trembling, and her face tear stained. “Another nightmare?” he asked, and she nodded, before starting to sob harder, burying her face in her pillow.  He stood watching her for another few seconds as she rocked back and forth, before his phone buzzed and as he snagged it from the nightstand, he saw it was from Rami.

Everything okay?

Hudayfah glanced at the clock, and seeing it was three in the morning, he winced slightly.

Did she wake you?

Yeah. But it’s fine. What’s going on?

She had another nightmare.

Aw man sounds rough! Try holding her.

She doesn’t want me near her!

Hold her Hudayfah.

Hudayfah put his phone back down on the table, looking back at where she was curled up in the fetal position, and still sobbing, and soon he couldn’t take it anymore. As the mattress dipped under his weight, she looked back at him. He didn’t say anything, debating whether or not to hold her as his friend suggested, but eventually he just took her hand in his, intertwining their fingers together. She looked at him for a few seconds, before giving his hand a squeeze. He lay down next to her, moving his thumb over the back of her hand soothingly, until eventually her tears began to subside, and soon silence enveloped them. He knew he should have let her go then, but he didn’t want to.

“I’m sorry.” She whispered a few minutes later, and his thumb stilled.

“For what.”

“For earlier.”

 He remained silent, continuing his attentions to her hand.

“Don’t worry about it.”

“I am sorry though.”

“I know.” He said with a nod. “So am I.”

“Why are you sorry?” she asked lifting her face to look at him in surprise.

“For losing my temper. I shouldn’t have lost my composure like that.” There was another silence between them before he spoke again. “Are you doing better?”