Chapter 4

Jenna watched uneasily as her husband came back out of the bathroom. He didn’t look angry and hurt anymore, but any warmth he had been showing before was gone. His face was blank and emotionless as he unpacked two prayer rugs from his bag, and she regretted upsetting him. She had slept more peacefully with her hand in his than she had in years. Whenever any traces of a nightmare would try to overcome her, it was as if he acted as a shield, as a defense, pushing them away.

She had lived the past eleven years having terrible dreams every night ever since she had witnessed him dying. It had been a horrible thing for anyone to witness, but especially a child. Even now she could recall every detail as if it had happened yesterday. Her parents had made her see a shrink when the dreams began to take over every moment of her life, though she never did disclose what had happened that night. Eventually even the cops had given up asking her questions, declaring her mentally unstable and thus discrediting any statements from her. The minute she had turned eighteen she had pulled herself out of therapy. She never spoke of her problems, and it was just a waste of money. She had gotten into a terrible fight with her parents over that, but legally they couldn’t make her go.

“I’ll wait for you to make Wudu. I’ll just pray my Sunnah.” He said quietly, and she nodded, the guilt gnawing at her stomach. She had accused him of not praying, and she didn’t even pray Sunnah all the time…

As she started towards the bathroom, she turned around, and watched him for a few moments. His beard was still a bit shiny from the water, and he stood on one of the prayer rugs his arms folded over his chest, and his eyes staring at the ground. He was very handsome, she wouldn’t deny it. He had brown hair, blue eyes, a neat beard, a nose that looked like it had been broken a few times in the past, but it only seemed to add to his beauty Jenna couldn’t help thinking, plump red lips, and sparkling white teeth that showed fully whenever he smiled. Which so far he had only done a handful of times. He was very tall, a lot taller than her five four frame, and he was very muscular. She felt dainty and petite next to him, though she also felt scared and intimidated.

Once she realized that she had been watching him for almost a minute, and he would soon be done with his Sunnah, she quickly closed the door, and when she caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror, she winced and looked away. She had hurt him for no other reason other than she didn’t want to be married to him. He hadn’t forced her to sleep with him, he hadn’t even kissed her yet. He hadn’t used any rough words with her, in fact he had been nothing but gentle, especially when she had been crying. She was the one who had freaked out when he had touched her, and then sought out his touch to fall asleep!

She had to adjust her attitude if they were going to make it through this marriage. No he wasn’t her first choice, he hadn’t even been someone she had considered. But he was who she had married, and she would have to deal.

Ugh but she didn’t want to! She didn’t want to try to be happy with him! To her, he symbolized her freedom being taken away. Granted she should have laid most of the blame at Muhsin’s feet.

That idiot.

But Muhsin wasn’t here right now, Hudayfah was, and she was still so angry.

“Jenna are you ready? We only have twenty minutes left to pray.” He called, and she hurriedly washed her feet before coming out.

“Sorry let me just get my scarf.” As she moved to her suitcase, she was aware of his eyes on her, but as she turned around, pinning her prayer scarf into place, he was no longer looking her way, but facing the Qiblah, waiting for her to get behind him. She lined up her feet with her prayer rug, and she gave a smile as she realized they had matching ones, hers was pink and his was blue. They were beautifully decorated with Masjid Nabawi in Madinah, and she wouldn’t have been surprised to learn it was woven with real gold thread. They had not spoken of it yet, but she had no doubt that her new husband was rich.