Chapter 44

"Now make sure the safety is on when you have it in your pocket, you don't want to accidently shoot yourself." Rami warned as he loaded the pistol, and Rana laughed from where she was sitting in the middle of their bed.

"You make me sound like an incompetent fool!"

"Now Rana, I think you are a perfectly competent fool!"

"Hey!" she protested, and he laughed, joining her on the bed, and handing her the gun.

"Sorry, I'm just worried about you is all. If I had my way, Hudayfah and Emma would be here, Jamaal would be locked up in a psych ward, we would all be happy with lots of babies, and you would be very far away from any weapon! But unfortunately we aren't living in the magical world of Candyland, and we have to face reality. "

"Ooh Candyland! I would love to live there!" she exclaimed, and he rolled his eyes.

"I'm bearing my soul here, and you are joking!"

She put her arms around his neck, kissing his cheek.

"You are so sweet for worrying about me, but we need all your energy to go into bringing Emma and Hud home. I promise to be careful."

"That's not good enough."

She laughed, keeping her hold on his neck as he pulled her onto his lap.

"Well what would you have me promise?"

"That you will be extremely, tremendously, enormously careful!"

"Hmm, okay."

He leaned his head against hers, kissing the edge of her jaw.

"Promise it Rana."

"I promise to be extremely, immensely,"

"Actually it was tremendously."

She shook her head in amusement.

"Okay, I promise to be extremely, tremendously, enormously careful! Happy now?"

"Yes. Thank you!"

She laughed before her face took on a somber expression.

"Rami, I want this to be over. I want everything to be magically fixed so that Hudayfah and Emma are back and you don't have to leave me."

He pushed her hair back from her face before kissing her forehead, and putting his arms around her.

"Oh honey. If I could magically fix all of this and I didn't have to leave you I would do it in a heartbeat. I really would."

"I know you would. Maybe if we were at Hogwarts you could." She said with a sigh, and he laughed.

"Would you rather be at Hogwarts than Candyland?"

"That is a hard decision. I'll have to give it some serious thought."

"Okay." He said with a soft laugh, before clasping their hands together, and pulling her tighter against him.

They were quiet for the next few moments, until a knock on the door interrupted their silence.

"Rami, the cars are here!" Omar exclaimed.

"Alright, I'm coming!" Rami called back. "Okay well I should get up." He said, rubbing a hand down her arm.

"Fine." She said with an exaggerated sigh, before she stood up, and he bent on the ground to pull his shoes on.

"Rami! Come on!" Omar shouted again, and he quickly stood, and grabbed her face in his hands, kissing her.

"I love you! Be safe!" he exclaimed before jogging out the door, and he was halfway down the stairs when she came running out of the room.