Chapter 9

Rami leaned back in his chair, and put his feet up on Hudayfah's desk before taking a huge bite out of his ice cream cone.

"Are you seriously eating an ice cream cone?" Hudayfah asked in annoyance, and his friend grinned before extending his hand.

"Want a bite?"

"No I do not want a bite."

"Want a lick?"

"Come on Rami."

Rami grinned, and resumed eating his ice cream.

"So did you touch bases with the boys?"

Rami nodded.

"I got a hold of Hassan, Ramzy, and Faris. I couldn't reach Omar though."

Hudayfah frowned.

"How many times did you try?"

"Three."

His frown deepened.

"You think he is okay?"

Rami shrugged.

"I hope so."

Hudayfah stroked a hand over his beard thoughtfully before turning back to his computer.

"Now Mahmood and his people caught the men the second they stepped out of the airport."

Rami let out a low whistle.

"That's impressive. Was there trouble?"

"They put up a fight of course, but eventually Hamoudi and the others restrained them. Unfortunately they aren't talking."

"So we still don't know what they want?"

Hudayfah turned to look at his friend sharply.

"What do you think they want? He wants my wife!"

Rami winced.

"Does she know?"

"Of course not. And there will be no reason for her to ever know. We are going to put an end to this once and for all."

"What do you think they were going to do if you had gone to Egypt?"

Hudayfah raked a hand through his hair.

"I don't even want to think about it. They probably would have kidnapped her, or worse."

Rami winced again.

"Poor Jen."

"Did you just call her Jen?"

Rami grinned.

"Yeah. I like it."

Hudayfah stared at him for a few seconds before smiling slightly.

"I do too." He said with a shake of his head. "Now we know what he wants, but we don't know what he will do to get it, nor do we know what it will take to stop him. And that's what scares me."

"You think you can pay him off?"

"I don't know. I finished paying what Muhsin owes but as you know the conditions in the first place didn't just include money so in his eyes, Muhsin still owes him."

"He wouldn't dare touch them while you are married to Jenna."

Hudayfah shrugged.

"He is getting desperate. I don't know what he would dare to do."

Rami sighed, and popped the last of the cone in his mouth.

"We will have to increase security at their house."