chapter one

Beyond the horizon, you could see the sun starting to set behind the mountains. The blue clouds were set high in the sky, with highlights of slightly lighter clouds rippling through it in an intricate pattern. It started to fade into pink, then orange as the sun finally dipped behind the mountains. You looked towards the sky, waitfing for the stars to come out.

You sat there, perched comfortably on the cushioned seat in front of the window, simply staring at nothing in particular.

You rested your cheek against the cool window, closing your eyes and breathing out a sigh once you finally felt calm and at peace.

All the noise that was around you was blocked out. The only thing you were focused on was the feeling of the window against your cheek, your arms securely wrapped around your body.

The one thing that brought you out of your comforting state of mind, was the soft click of the door opening and closing.

"Y/N..." Hange sighed. She walked over to you and sat on the window, trying to look at your face. "You missed the meeting today." Her eyes followed where you were looking, and she breathed out a sigh of relief at the sight of the stars.

"Really?" You tore your eyes away from the window to look at her, completely shocked that you forgot about a meeting as important as this one.

"Yeah." She looked back at you, and you knew she wasn't mad. Her eyes holding a look of understanding. "I get it, though. You've been so stressed lately, and it's completely fine if you forgot."

You hummed and stared out the window again. "What did you talk about in the meeting?"

"Well, since Eren infiltrated Marley last year, we got a letter from him. It wasn't much, but it was something to go by... He was just assessing the environment and trying to get information on the whereabouts of our targets... Nothing is really happening over there just yet, but we'll have to see what happens over the next few months. The only important thing he said was that he'd entrust everything to Zeke," she explained.

You nodded and looked back out the window, processing everything she just told you. Even though you already knew Eren was in Marley, it was still a shock to hear.

This was actually happening.

"When are you going home?" she asked, leaning back a bit more to get comfortable.

You thought for a moment.

"I'll leave in a little while... I want to wait for..."

Hange nodded softly as her face filled with worry.

"Are you alright, Y/N?" she asked, moving her hand to rest on top of yours. "You've been distant lately..."

"I'm alright, Hange, don't worry about me." You smiled.

Her eyes held yours for moment longer before she pulled away, making herself more comfortable on the cushioned seat beneath her.

You both sat in silence for a little while, content in sitting in the presence of a close friend. A sister. The only sounds that you could hear were the muffled voices of people outside your office door, and the wind against the windows.

After a while of silence and thinking, you finally spoke.

"Do you think... Do you think he'll come home today?" you whispered, wrapping your arms around yourself like a security blanket.

Hange stared at you, her eyes soft and reassuring. "He might..."

"I feel so bad, Hange." Your eyes started to become glassy. "He's been so stressed out lately, and I've tried to help him... and I'm doing everything I can, but... the effects of my comfort don't last forever."