chapter thirty

You were absolutely terrified. The ground was so far away, and you couldn't help but be nervous as you plummeted towards it.

There was a giant flash of yellow light below you, which you knew was Reiner transforming. He striked something that stood on top of one of the bones protruding from Eren's back. You saw a flash of brown fur, and your heart dropped when you saw the beady eyes of the Beast Titan. But you knew that Reiner couldn't have taken him out that easily.

You shot out your hooks into one of the bones of the Founder's back, swooping to a stop, planting your boots into the bone. As you looked below, you saw that Zeke's Titan was limp.

"No wonder there was no response at all," Levi's voice grumbled from beside you. "It's just an empty shell."

You sighed. "So, what now?"

You heard Armin yelling from below, so you dropped yourself lower so that you could hear him. "I'll blow this place up in a minute! Join the Cart and get out of here!"

"Armin!" Mikasa yelled desperately.

"Eren is expecting this attack, it won't kill him," Armin shouted. "If we blow apart these bones, maybe we could find out where Eren and Zeke's real location is!"

So... All you had to do was let Armin blow away the skeleton body, then hunt for Eren and Zeke. Yeah... Yeah, you could do that.

Connie zipped away, and after sparing a glance at Levi to make sure he was okay, you followed suit. "If anything ever happens, don't mind us and blow it up with full power!" Jean yelled from behind you.

Your gut twisted with worry. Something wasn't right.

You instinctively turned around, right as a Titan emerged from the steam behind Armin.

"Armin!" you called out, trying to use your gear to turn yourself around. Everyone reacted a little too slow, but it was too late. The Titan opened its mouth, a giant tongue swirling out, wrapping around Armin and pulling him away. "Armin!" you cried out again.

That gut feeling came back again. But this time, it was stronger. Then you saw it.

It wasn't just that one Titan. Dozens of them came emerging from the steam. So many of them, all different shapes and sizes, crawling and stumbling across Eren's spine towards you and your friends.

You hung there, your body still reeling from when Armin was taken away. How was this a fair fight?

"It's coming, Reiner!" Connie yelled, snapping you out of your daze. You looked down, only to see several Titans making their way towards Reiner.

It was like a ripple effect. One moment, the Titans were after Reiner, and the next, they were all making advances towards you. You made your way back over to Levi's side, pulling out your blades.

You spared Levi a glance. He looked so tired, staring down at the chaos with such a broken look in his eye. All you wanted to do was grab him and take him away, somewhere safe.

But you couldn't. Not yet.

You looked down, seeing a small Titan gnawing on Reiner's leg. Squeezing the handles of your blades, you zipped down, weaving through the steam until you were close enough to glide your blades through the Titan's nape. You swung back around, eyes catching on a larger Titan running towards Reiner. Gripping your blades again, you cut through its nape effortlessly, watching as it fell to the ground.

As you looked around, you saw everyone else making quick work of the Titans around you. They were dropping like flies. With the Titans almost cleared out, you made your way up to Reiner's shoulder, landing next to Jean.