chapter seventeen

Ringing.

Your ears were ringing.

Your entire body felt numb.

But slowly, you came to your senses. Nothing hurt except for your thigh, but you didn't want to move. You didn't want to move, just in case you were actually dead. In case this was all a dream.

But it felt too real.

With your ears still ringing, you opened your eyes, your hands shaking as they gripped your hair. Everything looked blurry. That may have been tears, or it may have been in your head, but you were definitely alive.

But... how?

Even though you were eager to get away, you just had to look. You focused your eyes on the man who almost killed you, only to see a small boy with light brown hair on top of him, restraining the arm with the gun.

Your eyes went wide, your breath hitched. This boy was definitely a Marleyan, he was wearing a yellow armband. So, why...?

Deciding that it wasn't safe to stay, you stood up in a rush. You looked around for the blimp, knowing that it was almost too late to catch up. After spotting it, you used your gear to fly through the buildings.

Now your adrenaline was completely gone, and the reality of the situation set in. Your leg was shot and you were losing a lot of blood. Your body was probably bloody and bruised.

You almost died.

Even though you'd been in so many near-death situations before, this one was probably one of the worst. If you'd died, your body wouldn't have been found. They would've left you here, and you and Levi didn't even get a real goodbye.

Eventually, you were close enough to the blimp. You hooked your gear into the wood below the door and shot up to the netting just below it.

All your strength was gone, so you struggled to climb your way to the door. When you got close, you heard shouting. More like two people arguing. And you recognised one of them to be Levi.

"We need to turn around!"

"We can't, Captain! We're already too far out."

"Fuck! I'm going to look for her."

"Captain!"

Using your arm as leverage, you hoisted yourself up into the ship. Someone noticed you and the the state you were in and helped you up. She was calling for someone, but you didn't know who. At this point, your body was shutting down. You were exhausted.

Then, you heard footsteps rushing towards you, and you felt your face being cradled by a pair of warm hands.

"Y/N," Levi's soft voice whispered in your ear. "Hey, what happened?"

"I-" You couldn't even speak. You were still in too much shock to fathom what was going on around you.

Levi lifted you into his arms and held you close. You vaguely heard him saying, "I'll be back," before carrying you out the room and through several hallways until you got into an unoccupied medical room. You had these on the ship in case anything went wrong.

Levi sat you on the bed and started to turn around. Before he could, you grabbed a few of his fingers in your hand and looked up at him pleadingly. His eyes softened when he looked at you, and he leaned down to kiss your forehead.

"I just need some things to patch up your wound, sweetheart. I'm not going anywhere."

You nodded, and Levi took that as a sign that you would be alright for a few moments.